The Role The Dakkota Chicago assembly plant is 236,000 square feet and has approximately 500 talented professionals (approximately 70 of whom are salaried titles) working to support Ford overheads and suspension modules for the Ford Explorer and the Lincoln Aviator. We run a three-crew rotation seven days per week, and you'll join the other Assistant Plant Manager (Operations) in reporting to the Plant Manager, with the three of you making up the highest level of plant leadership.
You will have direct responsibility for the day-to-day technical operations of the facility, including three departments: Engineering & Maintenance (Facilities), Controls, and IT. Your first major goal will be to help the teams align and coordinate their responsibilities. Your success will have the departments working together to decrease downtime, overtime and mean time to repair, get equipment up and running faster, and reduce costs.
We have both seasoned and newer employees, and the plant has proven its ability to deliver. At the same time, there are challenges to be overcome and plenty of opportunities for you to make a good thing even better. You'll have three direct reports and will oversee approximately 25 employees. For the first few months, most of your time will be spent on the production floor, getting to know the teams, the way they operate and the functioning of each line. Once you're well-acquainted from the technical standpoint, you'll then be monitoring technical functions while spending time on budgeting, scheduling, forecasting, quoting engineering changes, follow-ups and removing roadblocks for the team.
In support of the above goals, some of your specific tasks will be to:
- Foster a safety-first environment.
- Develop plans to improve the skills of each person in the department and monitor overall effectiveness.
- Lead departmental management meetings, high-level corrective actions, operations reviews, safety observation tours, 5S walks, and the general promotion of continual improvement as a business culture.
- Lead Technical escalation activities for any risks related to equipment / IT / controls related downtime.
- Oversee adherence to Dakkota's controls, vision and information technology processes.
- Oversee the management, use, and warranty of all critical spares within the facility.
- Oversee the execution of all preventive maintenance activities and manual operations drills.
- Oversee new program development (process, tooling and capital) and the launch activities to ensure that all tooling/equipment are properly setup and debugged to meet customer specifications, cycle times and quality requirements.
- Oversee the coordination of Engineering Change Management for new and current programs, driving Quoting, Costing, Planning and Implementation.
- Oversee product and process development for the plant for production feasibility within ergonomic and safety guidelines, timing, allocated budget (tooling and equipment), product cost, product performance and product quality.
- Perform internal reviews, providing coaching, teaching, counseling as required.
- Ensure employee involvement/participation and ownership at all levels of the organization.
- Ensure the successful launch of engineering changes, model changeovers, and new programs.
- Ensure the readiness of the facility for sudden catastrophic failures as outlined in the Disaster Recovery Process (i.e.: IT server failures, power failures, etc.).
- Manage capital and real estate expenditures through analysis of capacity studies. Work with site developer and contractors to ensure that the facility, capital investment and timing targets are met.
- Establish organizational knowledge of with program ASOWs.
- Identify, quantify and document customer driven scope creep. Quantify and document related costs (tooling, direct labor, indirect labor, impact on operational efficiencies and overhead costs).
- Lead the creation and maintenance of process assembly decks for all products.
- Lead the creation and maintenance of process analysis data, stack charts (Yamaguchi analysis) for all product lines.
- Identify and implement opportunities for improvements in OEE throughput, quality and equipment availability.
- Identify, present and support opportunities for improvements in OEE throughput, quality and equipment availability.
- Create and promote a culture of Fact-Based Data Driven decision making.
- Identify and lead labor rebalancing for continuous improvement of costs and labor efficiency.
- Develop cost effective contingency assembly strategies.
The Requirements The ideal candidate for this role could have gained required experience at a Tier One Supplier of complex automotive assemblies that were built and shipped per broadcast, although we will consider candidates with other relevant experience. To be a good fit for the Assistant Plant Manager – Technical opportunity, you should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering, Management Information Systems, Business Management, or an equivalent combination of work and education Quick question for you - click here
- 7+ years of related experience, ideally in an automotive manufacturing environment with experience in JIT (just-in-time) and live broadcast manufacturing
- Strong experience with maintenance and engineering, as well as some knowledge of automation and IT Quick question for you - click here
- A track record of successfully implementing processes, procedures and improvements
- Experience implementing engineering changes and/or layout reconfigurations, including experience making corresponding improvements in maintenance and repair metrics
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, and the ability to gain buy-in to affect change
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to establish trust-based relationships between management and staff
- A team orientation with the ability to work collaboratively with the rest of the plant leadership team and to help your departmental teams gel
- Computer proficiency, particularly with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) and AutoCAD
- Understanding of and proficiency with motion/time studies, MOPATs, MOST, and or Timer-Pro
- The strong sense of urgency required to meet the needs of a JIT environment
- A valid driver's license
Apply on company website