Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,400 retail locations in 44 states, 16 distribution centers and 135,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America's fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let's grow together!
Under general supervision of the Store Manager, manages the Perishable Departments including, produce, fresh meat, packaged meats, and dairy, frozen food, bread, and thaw and sell bakery products. Assists Store Manager with efficient and effective inventory management, appealing and profitable merchandise presentation and quality customer service. Assists the Store Manager in ensuring a safe working environment and provide protection for company assets according to required procedures. Assists the Store Manager in ensuring staff and store compliance with all food handling rules and regulations.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cash accountability, key control, and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications. Assist Store Manager in ensuring employee compliance.
- Maintain correct perishable stock levels based on store volume using the following tools
- Current Ads / Planners
- Produce Order guide
- Fresh Meat Recap and Order Guide
- Milk Sales history and order guide
- Vendor Order Guide
- Bread order planning and stales recap,
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in training assigned associates in the proper presentation, freshness and pricing standards for all perishable areas.
- Assist Store Manager, as directed, in training assigned associates in the proper and safe handling of food in compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Train assigned associates in the proper stocking and rotation of Perishable products.
- Record Perishable Markdowns, while analyzing causes and taking corrective action to prevent recurrences.
- Train assigned associates in the proper grading and re-packaging standards in produce to minimize markdowns.
- Accurately record inventory levels as requested by the Store Support Center.
- Assist the Store Manager with ensuring that customers' needs and requests are routinely addressed in an efficient and timely manner. Maintain daily contact with customers to understand merchandise expectations and desires.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with sanitation standards and training associates assigned in the Perishable departments using the Cleaning Schedule.
- Assist with other operational areas as directed by the Store Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
- Ability to learn and perform cash register functions to generate reports.
- Ability to review Operating Statements and identify business trends (including sales, profitability and turn) expense control opportunities, shrink and errors.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit control.
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Good organization skills with attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal and oral & written communication skills.
- Understanding of safety policies and practices.
- Ability to read and follow plan-o-gram and merchandise presentation guidance.
- Knowledge of and willingness to comply with company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications.
- Ability and willingness to obtain required certifications in food handling.
WORK EXPERIENCE &/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred
- One year of experience in a retail environment and six months supervisory experience preferred
- Previous lead experience and/or grocery store experience preferred.
- Attainment of required local and state food handling certifications, if applicable.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website