Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community – employees and residents – striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we live and work. That's what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
Acting as a right hand to the General Maintenance Director, the Assistant Maintenance Director is an integral part of the community's success. From HVAC to plumbing to a fresh coat of paint, Assistant Maintenance Directors play a strong role in resident satisfaction and making Equity a place our residents are proud to call home. They are personable leaders with a keen eye for detail, a willingness to learn, a curiosity for how things work, and a passion for working with their hands. Each day will be unique, requiring a diverse set of skills. As an Assistant Maintenance Director, your superior organizational skills and attention to detail will be utilized to attend to residents' needs, managing service requests and apartment turnovers to ensure the work is performed timely while adhering to the company's standards and managing the budget. Your strong technical skills will be utilized to identify and diagnose problems and perform a variety of service requests.
At Equity, being a manager is much more than sitting behind a desk directing others; we believe in leading by example and walking in the shoes of the people you manage. As an Assistant Maintenance Director, you will work closely with your General Maintenance Director to learn all aspects of managing an apartment community, including coaching and developing team members, maintaining a budget, and overseeing the make-ready schedule — all while remaining hands-on with the day-to-day maintenance needs of the community. Each day, you will be walking the community with your team, implementing scheduled maintenance, responding to service requests, managing vendors, and communicating and building rapport with residents. You will collaborate with team members to assess and respond to maintenance issues, develop rapport with residents by being both knowledgeable and friendly, and inspire trust by caring for our community and making our apartments feel like home.WHO YOU ARE
- Passionate about Maintenance. You have an understanding of general maintenance and are quick to learn new skills.
- A Leader. Not only are you at the top of your game when it comes to all things technical, but you enjoy teaching new skills to your teammates and are committed to coaching and developing them every day.
- A Clear Communicator. You help residents and teammates understand the timeline and process for repairs.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering the best experience to residents.
- Proactive. You act like an owner, performing regular maintenance to avoid emergencies.
- Personable. You are respectful, pleasant to be around, and enjoy engaging with others.
- Levelheaded. You keep your cool during maintenance emergencies and quickly find solutions.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, letting residents know they matter.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle multiple priorities and interactions with residents and teammates smoothly.
- Repair and enhance our community. You'll assist with repairing and maintaining all plumbing, electrical, appliance, carpentry, and painting needs of the community. On-the-job training will be provided as needed.
- Build rapport with residents. You'll make positive connections with residents by offering a smile and a greeting when you see them and chatting as you make repairs in their homes.
- Respond to service requests. You'll launch into action when maintenance issues arise, collaborating with teammates and prioritizing service requests to earn trust and build resident satisfaction.
- Know the make-ready schedule. You'll work closely with your manager and other community team members during the turnover process to plan and execute painting, cleaning and repairing vacant apartment homes.
- Tend to preventive maintenance. You'll safeguard equipment with regular tune-ups, helping equipment last longer and minimizing costly repairs.
- Notice the details. You'll walk the property daily, inspecting all areas for cleanliness and safety, and helping to maintain great curb appeal.
- 3 years verifiable hands-on maintenance experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Availability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Supervisory experience
- Trade school and/or military training
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That's why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
Apply on company website