Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. That's what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
As Regional Accountant you will be responsible for providing accounting support to an assigned portfolio of apartment communities. You will be involved in preparing and reviewing monthly property operating statements, monthly cash and/or bank reconciliations, and various mid-month reconciliations for your assigned portfolio. Many portfolios include a few specialized properties, which will keep the work both challenging and exciting. Expect to be challenged with a variety of assignments, from preparing monthly operating statements and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts to handling business license renewals.
As a Regional Accountant for Equity Residential, get ready to work on a collaborative team and contribute to the greater accounting initiatives of a publicly traded real estate investment trust that's focused on the acquisition, development, and management of high quality apartment properties in top U.S. growth markets.WHO YOU ARE
- Knowledgeable. Through previous work and/or school experiences, you've been exposed to accounting principles and enjoy the concepts of measuring, processing, and communicating business-related financial information.
- Organized, Efficient, and Accountable. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on delivering quality work. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and meet deadlines consistently. Above all, you are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the business. And when a special project arises, you are frequently known to volunteer.
- A Critical Thinker. You're self-motivated to analyze and evaluate information gathered or received and take action to ask smart questions, challenge the status quo, and regularly seek to understand.
- A Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others —whether internal or external— in order to get work done and deliver great results.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, demonstrating your ability to be articulate and understood.
- Technologically Savvy. Tools like email and internet access start as basic necessities in your daily operation and you are comfortable using computers. Microsoft Excel is a tool you know how to organize and leverage in order to successfully manipulate information into a user friendly format. You also enjoy researching trends, organizing data, and problem solving when your findings indicate further research is required.
- Eager to Learn. You invest extra energy in opportunities that expand your current knowledge base and propel you toward reaching your goals.
- Prepare monthly accounting records for assigned portfolio of apartment communities, including monthly appropriating statements, reconciliation of balance sheet accounts, preparing cash/and or bank reconciliations, and reviewing property transmissions.
- Maintain supporting documentation, accounts, and records to support proper reporting procedures of tax and indirect returns.
- Maintain accurate accounting files for month-end and mid-month reconciliations.
- Conduct appropriate research and analyze large sets of data as needed in order to propose and implement improvements in system and process efficiency.
- Prepare capital reclass packages, which involves obtaining appropriate approvals and collecting all necessary backup.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external partners.
- Participate in special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree preferred (with a business, accounting, or finance focus a plus) as well as 1+ years of accounting experience and demonstrated knowledge of basic accounting principles.
- Experience filing for various states and/or general knowledge of state law is preferred.
- Must have intermediate skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, plus some familiarity with Google applications.
- Detail oriented and well-organized, with an ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize various responsibilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to speak and write in a clear and articulate manner.
- Team player that demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with others.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines without sacrificing quality of work product.
- Motivated to succeed with capacity to assume increasing responsibility.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That's why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
Apply on company website