Working for Equity Residential (EQR),an S&P 500 real estate company, means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. Our portfolio of high-quality properties in urban growth markets – New York City, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Denver – provides homes where people most want to live, work and play. We've got the best people in the business, and our experience shows in our dedication to our residents and in how much we value each other as colleagues. That's why our employees say they are proud to work at Equity, a company that gives our residents a place where they can “Live Remarkably,” and offers a culture where our employees have the opportunity to make their mark.
We are in search of a resourceful, efficient, detail-oriented financial professional and team player to join our corporate team in our Chicago headquarters as a Senior Tax Specialist. As a Senior Tax Specialist, you will be responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of federal, state and local tax returns for Equity Residential and its related entities. Additionally, you will gather information and research tax laws to support the company's overall tax initiatives and correspond with agencies as necessary. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to think strategically and on your feet, be creative, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills.WHO YOU ARE
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering on all commitments.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle multiple tasks and priorities in order to complete all assignments within the established due dates.
- Creative. You are an idea person and like coming up with smart solutions to new challenges.
- Caring. You put yourself in others' shoes and strive for positive outcomes.
- Motivated. You invest extra time and energy to accomplish goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, co-workers and business partners know that they can count on you.
- Prepare federal, state and local tax returns for Equity Residential and its related entities, especially focusing on partnership returns requiring more in-depth tax or accounting knowledge, according to the Tax Department due dates.
- Review various federal, state and local tax returns, as assigned by supervisor, including compilation and reporting of apportionment data, in compliance with all Tax Department deadlines and procedures.
- Understand and meet obligations associated with outside partners. This includes responding to partner inquiries in an accurate and timely manner and meeting stated deadlines for delivery of taxable income estimates and Schedules K-1 and K-1 equivalents.
- Prepare and/or review partner non-resident withholding for states in which Equity Residential and its related entities conduct business activities.
- Prepare and review federal and state extension requests and quarterly estimated tax payments for the various entities in compliance with Tax Department deadlines and procedures.
- Responsible for the creation of complete and accurate supporting workpapers and schedules which can be used to support tax reporting, future inquiries, ASC 740 analysis, GAAP audit questions, etc. and which are organized, assembled and stored according to the procedures and specifications of the Tax Department.
- Understand and follow department controls and procedures. Work with management to suggest and effectuate innovation in processes and improvements to accuracy of work product.
- Prepare REIT compliance testing as necessary with focus on improved efficiency with greater information integrity. Develop a further understanding of REIT compliance through researching and developing conclusions regarding REIT testing issues and REIT status questions.
- Work with supervisor to develop a workflow timeline which will ensure all tasks are allotted an appropriate amount of time and can be completed in advance of statutory deadlines. Monitor workflow progress against internal timeline, reports status to supervisor on a regular and timely basis.
- Draw on experience to identify tax issues and draw preliminary tax conclusions on issues and opportunities encountered in return preparation and review, or through other assigned tasks.
- Perform or assist in assigned research and resolution of issues concerning particular tax returns or work assignments. Present findings to the rest of the Tax Department, as necessary.
- Leverage knowledge of GAAP and Tax rules to produce tax analyses that are used as the basis for tax projections, resolution of tax issues, support for higher level tax planning and various disclosures to the management team, financial statement auditors, and the Board of Trustees.
- Conduct research as necessary to determine compliance with tax laws. Read periodicals to maintain knowledge about changing tax laws, planning opportunities, filing requirements, etc.
- Research, resolve and respond to state and federal regulatory agencies' notices. Draft correspondence with federal and state taxing agencies in connection with notices and filing inquiries, as needed.
- Review corporate and partnership legal documents and correspondence as needed to ensure correct preparation of tax returns.
- Communicate tax findings, issues, project status, workload, etc. on a regular basis using appropriate communication vehicles.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or other college Degree with equivalent combination of coursework and professional tax experience.
- Minimum 3 years tax experience required.
- Public accounting experience with focus in partnership taxation is ideal.
- Must possess strong analytical communication and follow-up skills and have a good working knowledge of partnership and corporate, federal and state taxation.
- Working knowledge of computerized spreadsheets and databases required.
- Experience using Fast Tax/OneSource tax preparation is a plus.
- CPA preferred.
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That's why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
Apply on company website