Experienced Auto & Diesel Fleet Technician
Earn a $1,000 Sign-On Bonus!*
First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in North America, is now hiring a Fleet Technician with strong mechanical and diagnostic skills! Districts we serve: Plainfield CUSD 202; Joliet District 86; Will County School District 92 (Lockport); Richland School District 88a; Chaney-Monge District 88; Elwood School District 203; Joliet Catholic Academy.
First Student is proud to offer:
- $28-$32 per hour based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat rate)
- Earn a $1,000 sign-on bonus! *(conditions apply. Offer expires 10/31/21)
- ASE certification bonus money & company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Union shop environment
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule, and consistent, year-round work
- An excellent union benefits package including medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, & sick time
- Annual allowances for boots, tools, and prescription safety glasses
- Ongoing company training on state-of-the-art online system
- Opportunities for career advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Auto & Diesel Fleet Mechanic Major Responsibilities:
- Diagnose and perform accurately all phases of vehicle and equipment repair under minimal supervision. Repairs include brakes, engine tune-ups, suspensions, drive trains, transmission clutches and other repairs.
- Remove, overhaul and reinstall mechanical components with minimal supervision.
- Lead preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections and annual maintenance inspections.
- Ensure work orders are completed properly and accurately. Maintain records of all maintenance work completed including parts and supplies used.
- Notify supervisor of potentially dangerous equipment and corrective action taken.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek approval where required.
- Lead road calls and emergency services as necessary.
- Adhere to FirstGroup standards, policies and procedures.
- Moves vehicles safely between job and work area.
- Perform other responsibilities as requested or required.
Auto & Diesel Fleet Technician Qualifications:
- Vocational or technical degree in vehicle maintenance is preferred.
- Valid driver's license required.
- 5+ years of automotive or diesel repair employment experience or combination of education & experience.
- Advanced diagnostics skills and mechanical knowledge are required.
- Must have appropriate mechanic's tool set.
- ASE certifications preferred. Must participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!).
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work assigned shift.
- Be subject to a drug test.
Apply today to join our team!
First Student (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of school transportation services. We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with school districts to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation for five million students per school day. We employ more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.
Apply on company website