Project Manager 2 (Engineering)
Flux is currently seeking a Project Manager 2 (Engineering) to join our project team onsite with our client in Vancouver, WA. This contract Project Manager position will support the Transmission Transportation Engineering (TELF) organization. This position will provide project management coordination, planning and assistance for small expense, access roads and vegetation (Veg) management projects, working closely with Program Managers, Project Managers (PMs), district Foremen 3s, and Access Road Engineers throughout the Transmission Line & Civil Works Engineering (TEL) organization. In addition to the project work, this position will provide budget support for the Veg Management program, working closely with agency subject matter experts (SMEs). Budget support may include monitoring and tracking the program of veg management projects, including liaising between TEL management and executives and veg management engineers and SMEs. Although this is primarily an office position, a small amount of travel to project field sites within the service area of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and some parts of Wyoming and California may be expected.
Position Responsibilities include:
- Support and facilitate manager-assigned project or multiple projects, from beginning to end in collaboration with senior management, external industry entities and stakeholders, providing expert guidance on the PMI-based project management methodology, best practices, and internal skill development as requested by and with guidance from the manager, team lead or other personnel with the authority to do so, including:
- Actively engage with the business to properly understand the business needs, identify dependencies, project expectations, milestones, resources and other initiatives, and assist the manager in deploying the solution.
- Identify and request necessary subject matter experts needed during the project.
- Forecast and recommend / request appropriate project resources to fulfill project needs; recommended resource requests must be submitted to, coordinated with and provided by appropriate performance managers.
- Collaborate with business units and performance managers to resolve resource allocation issues.
- Facilitate “kick-off” meetings with sponsors, stakeholders, and partners and validate approval/buy in of project plans and commitment of resources.
- Schedule and facilitate project team meetings and coordinate activities of sub-teams.
- Recommend an overall roadmap of efforts required to achieve program initiatives and project objectives.
- Provide recommendations regarding project expectations, approach, roadmaps, work plans, deliverables and goals.
- Draft project plans, resource strategies and funding estimates required to advance each assigned project / defined effort.
- Administer project tasks on a daily basis (may include multiple projects) with regard to time, budget, schedule and quality. Provide updates and findings to manager.
- Facilitate and monitor/track project budgets (project funding and overall budget).
- Alert manager of and obtain appropriate authorization for any potential changes to project cost, schedule or performance.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate the work of project team(s) and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects, includes recommending project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
- Monitor progress of assigned projects to track timelines, milestones, deadlines, standards and targets, alerting appropriate manager / personnel of any obstacles / potential delays to project timelines, targets or success; provide corrective action recommendations.
- Coordinate activities for manager-assigned projects that enable goals or objectives to be accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters, escalating concerns to appropriate manager / personnel.
- Collaborate with manager and internal stakeholders to facilitate the tasks and activities of project team(s) and to properly understand related business needs, dependencies on other initiatives, and how best to effectively deploy end products.
- Work with appropriate manager / personnel to facilitate resolution of conflicting priorities and requirements, as well as conflicting team positions in order to build consensus among stakeholders and project team members.
- Assist the group’s Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) / Contracting Officer (CO) in the preparation of service contracts – Contract Requests (CRs), material requests (MRs), and transportation requests (TRs). This work may include working with group engineers and SMEs on the compilation and/or review of Statements of Work (SOWs), collection and completion of other contract back-up documentation. This may also include requests for materials for the TLM districts or missing from project orders sent to field sites; requesting quotes from primary vendors; and, ensuring funds are available for material orders.
- Collaborate with COR / CO on potential contract changes, such as changes to scope, schedule or budget; obtain appropriate approvals and complete applicable documentation.
- Issue project status reports on a regular or as requested basis.
- Maintain consistent communication with project sponsors, performance managers, and stakeholders on the progress of the project compared to the work plan.
- Collaborate and work with project sponsors and performance managers to remove obstacles impacting timely project completion.
- Anticipate and identify potential areas of risk and obtain guidance from appropriate manager or Contracting Officer;
- Track, monitor and facilitate resolution of issues and risks identified within the projects, as well as compliance related dependencies.
- Maintain issue, risk, and/or action logs.
- Draft and recommend contingency plans to minimize / eliminate risks on an ongoing basis for review and approval / acceptance by appropriate manager / personnel.
- Collaborate with the manager (or assigned designee) to define the frequency and content of status reports from the project team; review and analyze results, troubleshooting concerns or problem areas and provide mitigation options and weighted recommendations.
- Working with the manager, help define project success criteria – Key Performance Indicator (KPI) - and disseminate status reports of key deliverables to all involved teams throughout the project life cycle.
- Facilitate project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Collaborate with the COR for the return / disposal of any unused or excess material or equipment per procedures.
- Draft a final project report, including project “lessons-learned”.
- When necessary, facilitate the transition of a project or program to another project manager including any training, documentation, or meeting coordination required to bring the new PM fully up to speed on all critical aspects of the work and introduce them to executive sponsors and key stakeholders.
- As requested, provide project management coordination and assistance to Senior or other group PMs, which may include:
- Assist with project tracking and document management;
- Serve as POC and resource for use of SharePoint and ProjectWise for project documentation;
- Assist with work plan management and resource coordination;
- Coordinate with Field Supervisors (FS), Project managers (PM), Design Engineers, District Foreman and other personnel to create and develop logic driven updates to schedules for the transmission projects.
- Provide background information, technical input, options and recommendations that facilitate project decision-making. This may include, at management request, arranging, attending and facilitating decision-making sessions/meetings with management, executives and key stakeholders, including, drafting agendas, answering technical questions, and presenting information, options and recommendations for decision-maker consideration.
- Monitor multi-million dollar expense budgets for the TEL and Vegetation Management & Forestry (TFBV) cost centers, including tracking all expenses, monitoring / reconciling expense project costs, regular and ad-hoc budget reporting, and collaborating with organizational engineers and SMEs to forecast expense fund projects for the next fiscal year. Note: project recommendations developed in conjunction with engineers and SMEs must be submitted to the appropriate managers for consideration and incorporation into annual budget and work plans.
- Serve as primary point-of-contact and administrator for TELF’s use of ProjectWise, including create and maintain project folders for team members to access, store, and view project documents; assist with permission management to help safeguard sensitive information that is viewable by appropriate parties only, including setting up team member role-based permissions; storing own project documentation; and, working with IT on any patches, enhancements and/or upgrades / migrations.
- Serve as primary point-of-contact and administrator for TEL’s use of SharePoint (SP), including design, create and maintain TEL’s SP site containing all access road and civil project related information; support all of the TEL organization’s SP sites, including assist in developing new work management pages for group collaboration and work flow management; serve as SP expert and resource for team members; provide individual system user training, as requested.
- Utilize eGIS AGOL and desktop ArcGIS to query, provide QA/QC and to edit enterprise GIS data, such as for rock pits, access roads, WIP, etc.); collaborate with GIS Analysts to achieve data integrity.
- Work with group staff to maintain and populate GIS enabled SharePoint list for data visualization and spatial analysis.
- Participate in group improvement efforts, including drafting new or revising existing process and procedure documentation, recommending quality or efficiency improvements, and assist with the implementation of management-approved recommendations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration or Management, Organizational Development, Computer Science or other directly-related technical discipline is preferred:
- With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 5 year experience is required.
- Without a Bachelor’s degree not in the applicable fields, 7 years’ experience is required.
- With no degree, 10 years’ experience is required.
- Experience should include: project coordination/ management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution.
- Bachelor’s degree must include completion of at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields in order to get credit: Accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management. (NOTE: Resume content must validate minimum 24 semester hours in the fields listed to qualify for this position).
- Demonstrated project management experience with business services capabilities projects using industry standard methods and tools for managing schedules, dependencies, resources, funding and developing technical specifications and project plans.
- Experience successfully coordinating or running multiple projects simultaneously as a program.
- Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Project, Visio, and SharePoint Server environments.
- Experience in demand/resource planning and Strategy (preferred).
- Project and program management experience within an Information Technology or Operational Technology environment (preferred).
Flux Resources, LLC is proud to be an AA/EEO employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to characteristics protected by applicable local, state or federal law, such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website