Flux is currently seeking a Project Manager 3 (IT) to join our project team onsite with our client in Portland, OR. This position will provide recommendations to technical staff and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects. This includes planning project stages and assessing business implications for each stage as well as monitoring progress and reviewing controls to assure deadlines, standards and targets are met. The Project Manager will also coordinate and support program management activities for executive level IT programs, working closely with Executive sponsors and program office to identify and plan program tracks, facilitate program activities, and monitor progress to achieve program objectives.
Position Responsibilities include:
Project Management :
- Facilitate manager assigned Information Technology (IT) projects, supporting various business lines, from inception to conclusion and in accordance with PMI-based methodology, industry standards, best practices and internal skill development:
- Provide recommendations to technical staff and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects. This includes planning project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
- Facilitate a defined original project scope and obtain authorization for changes to the project cost, schedule, or performance.
- Draft project plans, resource strategies and funding estimates required to advance each assigned project / defined effort for approval by the Manager.
- Forecast and recommend / request appropriate project resources to fulfill project needs; recommended resource requests must be submitted to, coordinated with and provided by appropriate performance managers.
- Assist the manager in building and coordinating an effective team and provide recommendations for allocating team members to project tasks. Assist in facilitating the team process, the interpersonal process by which individuals develop as a team.
- Alert the Manager of any resource allocation issues and recommend solutions (see Note above).
- Support the project team through the project management process by assisting Management in creating and implementing the project plan.
- Monitor the project schedule. Alert the Manager to any changes to or delays in the schedule.
- Plan, and coordinate activities for a designated project to verify that goals or objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters.
- Coordinate implementation of the project on a daily basis (may include multiple projects) with regard to scope, budget, schedule and quality. Provide manager with updates on the project.
- Maintain consistent communication with the project sponsor, performance managers, and clients on the progress of the project versus the plan.
- Actively engage with the business unit and IT teams to facilitate the tasks and activities of the team, understand the business needs, dependencies on other initiatives, and assist Management in deploying the solution.
- Monitor and review the project budget for funding. Alert the Manager of any budget concerns.
- Actively maintain project documents, schedule, budget, and workflow in the project management system of record.
- Coordinate project requirements, milestones, and deliverables.
- Alert the Manager of obstacles or work with the sponsor or performance managers to remove obstacles so that the team can complete the project.
- Schedule and facilitate team meetings. Coordinate activities of sub-teams.
- Allocate time in the project plan for the project team to attend all recommended training.
Project Manager must take a pro-active stance on risk management:
- Analyze and identify areas of risk and obtain appropriate guidance from manager or Contracting Officer.
- Maintain issue, risk, and/or action logs.
- Develop and recommend contingency plans to minimize / eliminate risks on an ongoing basis.
- Draft regular status reports, final reports or deliverables and generate and lessons learned. With approval of the manager, issue final reports and act on lessons learned.
Program Management :
- Coordinate and provide support to executive level IT programs, by working with the program office to establish effective planning and control processes, governance, timelines and plans.
- Working closely with the program office, assist in the identification of various program tracks and development of detailed work plans to meet and achieve program objectives.
- Working closely with the program office, assist in the development and monitoring of individual project tracks, performance metrics and tracking mechanisms. Track program action items, program status, issues, and follow-up activities.
- Work with the program office to recommend individual project track related processes, deliverables and responsibilities.
- Assist with defining clear accountabilities and program expectations, and maintain communication with the program office.
- Monitor and facilitate consistent progress across concurrent defined program/project tracks. Quickly identify any potential programs problems/issues and notify the program team so that corrective action can take place in a timely manner.
- Forecast and recommend / request appropriate resources to fulfill program needs; recommended resource requests must be submitted to, coordinated with and provided by appropriate performance managers.
- Actively engage and maintain consistent communication with the Executive Sponsor, key stakeholders of the organization, and program office on the progress of the project versus the plan. Provide progress status briefings to executives, proactively highlighting any issues with project/tracks, timelines, etc. that require awareness or attention.
- Provide support for planning and implementation of individual project tracks and assist program office with understanding and managing dependencies.
- Assist program office in the development and planning of both short-term and long-term program strategies aimed at identifying and taking advantage of best practices.
- Work closely with resources and internal communications groups to facilitate change management and communication plans and work with the core program team to execute the plans.
- Review and monitor the program funding and budget, allocations and expenses, alerting program office of any budget concerns.
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Business Administration or a closely-related technical discipline is preferred.
- With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 10 years of experience is required.
- Without an applicable degree, 14 years of experience is required.
- Experience should encompass demonstrated project management experience on technology projects using industry standard methods and tools for managing schedules, dependencies, resources, funding and developing technical specifications and project plans.
- Experience with the fundamental operation, function, and workflow of a project management system with regard to timelines, dependencies, deliverables, milestones, and resources.
- 10 years of demonstrated project management experience on technology projects using industry standard methods and tools for managing schedules, dependencies, resources, funding and developing technical specifications and project plans.
- 5+ years of demonstrated program management experience within an Information Technology environment.
- 10 years of demonstrated experience successfully coordinating or running multiple projects simultaneously.
- 10 years of demonstrated working knowledge of System Life Cycle (SLC) principles.
- Demonstrated experience in project planning for assigned work streams, managing priorities, deliverables and milestones; identifying and tracking project issues, risks, decisions and action items.
- Demonstrated experience with Visio flowcharts.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Project, including familiarity with the fundamental operation, function, and workflow of Microsoft Project in regard to timelines, dependencies, deliverables, milestones, and resources.
- Ability to facilitate story development with product owner, manage project backlog, facilitate sprint planning sessions, and manage task burndown.
Apply on company website