Flux is currently seeking a Project Manager 3 (Non-IT) to join our project team onsite with our client in Portland, OR. This contract Project Manager 3 position will provide project management support for future upgrades, enhancements, and/or replacements of the suite of software systems that support Energy Efficiency (EE) and will focus primarily on future replacement systems and/or major upgrades to the current systems used to track and report energy efficiency savings. These systems are used by both internal users and customers (utilities) to allow reporting and invoicing of energy efficiency measures and projects. The project manager’s primary focus will be to facilitate a strong project management structure to help support the development, implementation and maintenance of EE Systems, which is a key and Energy Efficiency initiative. This will result in improved project management techniques, processes and policy implementation, and successful adoption of new systems and tools by internal and external stakeholders.
Position Responsibilities include:
· Support and facilitate manager-assigned project or multiple projects, from inception to conclusion under the program structure for the EE Systems, providing expert guidance on the PMI-based project management methodology, best practices, and internal skill development as requested by and with guidance from the manager, team lead or other personnel with the authority to do so, including:
o Utilize knowledge gained and technical expertise of and the EE organization, EE systems and utility customers to:
§ Understand roles and responsibilities for cross and Energy Efficiency (EE) subject matter experts in Engineering, Contracting, Planning and Evaluation, Marketing, Programs, and customers and the impact of EE systems and tools on those stakeholders.
o Gather an understanding of utility customer needs for EE Systems and interfacing with systems. Identifying project needs for delivering processes, systems and organizational capabilities in alignment with the department and objectives.
o Participate in team meetings and schedule information sessions with subject matter experts; focus on understanding the nature and complexity of the initiatives and current project management structure with an emphasis on execution and implementation of project activities.
o Facilitate database architecture development by coordinating with internal team, assist with the project plan, and facilitate team meetings and tracking deliverables.
o Provide project status reporting via email, Excel, presentation, or in person meetings with the Systems Lead/Manager/Sponsor Teams/Steering Committees. Issue project status reports on a regular or as requested basis.
o Draft, recommend and provide project deliverables to Manager/other federal staff for review and approval to include:
§ Timelines and milestones for project deliverables and providing status and findings;
§ Staffing resource plans;
Setting project expectations, maps and work plans.
o Participate in the development and implementation of Business Acceptance Testing of the EE Systems as well as Utility Acceptance Testing, including:
Preparation of test cases/overall test plan;
Facilitation of Business Acceptance Testing for EE;
Acting as the primary tester for any enhancements.
o Participate in the development and implementation of change management plans, including
Recommending approaches to successfully manage stakeholder expectations, increase stakeholder awareness, and reduce resistance.
Assisting management with implementing changes and improvements to EE program activities and processes.
Drafting and administering tools, techniques, templates, guidelines, and checklists needed for implementing process and/or software changes.
Facilitating teamwork and collaboration among the teams charged with implementing changes and improvements.
o Actively participate in team meetings and schedule information sessions with key PE contributors; focus on understanding the nature and complexity of the initiatives and current project management structure with emphasis on execution and implementation of project activities.
o Provide project budget projection, tracking and reporting under the guidance of manager for assigned projects.
o Issue tracking, set timelines, milestones and provide accountability for adhering to them for assigned projects.
o Provide project expectations, maps and work plans to the assigned Program Manager.
o Coordinate with other groups to include the Information Technology department to provide input and recommendations to IT project management plans and other IT developed documents.
o Provide business recommendations/guidance for Program support, integration, communications, organizational structure, resource planning, budgeting and project scheduling. Business recommendations/guidance will be provided in coordination with the Program Manager or other designated individuals, in collaboration with other program participants.
o Manage the tools and mechanisms to verify timely updates, reporting, and ongoing program controls.
o Evaluate and provide written recommendations to improve fundamental Project Management roles, processes and systems to assist in executing process or software changes.
o Recommend and implement management approved key project management tools to assist the Systems Program lead in support system initiatives as well as other Energy Efficiency projects by tracking progress, schedule, and resource requirements.
o Recommend and assist with the development and implementation of configuration management and operational models associated with existing or new software solutions
• Communicate regularly with executive sponsors, stakeholders, strategic partners, and key personnel across the organization independently and in team meetings.
• With manager / personnel assistance and guidance, address and navigate politically sensitive issues in a collaborative and professional manner.
• Provide background information, technical input, options and recommendations for project decisions as requested by manager / personnel; work with appropriate parties to facilitate resolution of conflicting team positions.
• Collaborate and work with project sponsors and performance managers to remove obstacles impacting timely project completion.
• Draft final project reports, including project “lessons-learned”, for appropriate management review and approval / acceptance.
• Take a pro-active stance on project risk management by:
o Anticipating and identifying potential areas of risk and obtaining guidance from appropriate manager or Contracting Officer;
o Tracking, monitoring and facilitating resolution of issues and risks identified within the projects, as well as compliance related dependencies;
o Maintaining issue, risk, and/or action logs;
o Developing, drafting and recommending contingency plans to minimize / eliminate risks on an ongoing basis for review and approval / acceptance by appropriate manager / personnel.
• Facilitate and/or support the following functions:
o Written and Verbal Sponsor and Stakeholder Communication;
o Project Team Coordination, including milestone management and communication of deliverables;
o Monitor issues and risks identified within the project as well as integrated dependencies and the issues and risk associated
o with those assumptions;
o Team Meeting Management and Sponsor Meeting Management.
· Facilitate and/or support the following deliverables:
o Scope Definition and Management;
o Business Requirements and needs analysis from various stakeholder perspectives;
o Gap Analysis from the “as is” to the “to be” state;
o Implementation planning including optimizing milestones and building upon successes.
· When necessary, manage the successful transition of a project or program of projects to another project manager including any training, documentation, or meeting coordination required to bring the new PM fully up to speed on all critical aspects of the work and introduce them to executive sponsors and key stakeholders.
· Coordinate and assist management with transitions of identified project resources as needed. This may include gathering information from departing/transitioning resources to identify subject matter expertise, documenting workloads, identifying training requirements to facilitate smooth transitions.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Computer Science (or directly related field) is required.
o With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 10 years of experience is required.
· Experience must include work in a software project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution and include work in a change management capacity.
· PMP Certification
· 7 years of experience utilizing PMI Project Management Best Practices
· 5 years of experience planning for and managing software projects
Apply on company website