Post Baccalaureate Fellow
Job ID: req1841
Employee Type: nonexempt full-time
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public's interest.
The Laboratory Animal Sciences Program (LASP) provides exceptional quality animal care and technical support services for animal research performed at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR). LASP executes this mission by providing a broad spectrum of state-of-the-art technologies and services that are focused on the design, generation, characterization and application of genetically engineered and biological animal models of human disease, which are aimed at the development of targeted diagnostics and therapies. LASP contributes to advancing human health, developing new treatments, and improving existing treatments for cancer and other diseases while ensuring safe and humane treatment of animals.
The Small Animal Imaging Program (SAIP) utilizes non-invasive in vivo imaging techniques to support the NCI investigator to characterize mouse models which are then used to perform efficacy studies, characterize new molecular imaging targets for early detection and effectiveness of therapy; assist the FNLCR Nanotechnology Characterization Laboratory to analyze nanoplatforms as part of their assay cascade; and support the Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis initiatives in developing standards in small animal imaging, characterize patient derived xenograft mouse models, and integrate imaging into drug development.
The SAIP/FNLCR is a state-of-the-art non-invasive in vivo imaging core facility (>7,500 sq ft) incorporates a clinical 3T MRI utilizing specially designed rodent coils and multi-nuclear spectroscopy, multi-modality Positron Emission Tomography/Single Photon Emission Tomography/X-ray Computed Tomography [PET/SPECT/CT] and a 1T MRI/PET, optical scanners (bioluminescence and fluorescence), two high frequency (40 MHz) rodent ultrasound scanners, a gamma-well counter, and two high-end image processing workstations.
This is a one-year term position with possible extension based on funding.
- Perform in vivo imaging preclinical cancer research according to standard operating procedures
- Evaluate and compare the various imaging modalities and analysis techniques
- Work with rodent xenograft and genetically engineered mouse models
- Assist in the design and experimental procedures for in vivo imaging preclinical cancer research
- Assist in all SAIP imaging and analysis functions
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience in scientific methods
- Knowledge of MS office programs
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to animal(s) and/or animal material(s)
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
- This position is subject to atmospheric conditions that would require the usage of a respirator, requiring a medical clearance
- This position is subject to working with radioactive material and requires to become an approved radiation worker
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
Apply on company website