Research Associate – Mass Spectrometry Proteomics
Job ID: req1828
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Facility: ATRF: Other
Location: 8560 Progress Drive, Frederick, MD 21701 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Our core values of accountability, compassion, collaboration, dedication, integrity, and versatility serve as a guidepost for how we do our work every day in serving the public's interest.
The Cancer Research Technology Program (CRTP) develops and implements emerging technology, cancer biology expertise and research capabilities to accomplish NCI research objectives. The CRTP is an outward-facing, multi-disciplinary hub purposed to enable the external cancer research community and provides dedicated support to NCI's intramural Center for Cancer Research (CCR). The dedicated units provide expertise in electron microscopy, protein characterization, mass spectrometry, protein expression, optical microscopy, and genomics. These research efforts are an integral part of CCR at the Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research (FNLCR), where CRTP scientists work collaboratively with intramural NCI investigators to provide research technologies and expertise.
- Working independently, and collaboratively with scientists, to perform liquid chromatographic mass spectrometry (LC-MS)-based proteomics experiments, including protein extraction, immunoprecipitation, protein digestion, solid-phase extraction (SPE), SDS-PAGE, buffer preparation, etc. following SOPs
- Analyze large, complex data sets using spreadsheets, access and/or other data analysis packages (R or Python)
- Establish (design, test and write) new or modify/optimize existing detailed technical SOPs
- Document experimental results in a reproducible manner
- Order, organize and keep lab supplies
- Analyze, interpret, and effectively present data to team member and collaborators
- Comply with all safety procedures and policies
This position may be filled with a Research Associate I or Research Associate II commensurate with the selected candidates experience.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- Research Associate I - In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience
- Research Associate II - In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience with nano-scale sample handling for proteomics sample preparation, wither global or targeted proteomics sample preparation
- Experience with large, complex data set analysis using R or Python
- Familiar with Mass Spectrometry software for mass spectrometer operation and/or data analysis
- Experience with sample preparation for global or targeted proteomics studies
- Knowledge of or experience with LC-MS based proteomic experiments, including either Orbitrap global proteomics mass spectrometry and/or Triple Quad mass spectrometry targeted proteomics
- Detail-oriented, highly-collaborative, self-motivated, and team-oriented
- Excellent communication skills
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)
Apply on company website