Driven by Possibility
Gates Corporation is a leading manufacturer of application-specific fluid power and power transmission solutions. At Gates, we are driven to push the boundaries of materials science to engineer products that continually exceed expectations.
We don’t rest on our rich heritage of innovation. We leverage it to inspire solutions that will power the next hundred years. We invest continually in R&D and technology, so our products not only outperform industry standards; they exceed our customers’ demanding expectations. We invest in our people, bringing real-world experience that enables us to solve our customers’ diverse challenges of today and anticipate those of tomorrow. And we are constantly expanding our product catalog and value-added service offerings to support every facet of our customers’ operations. In the most extreme environments and those more familiar, Gates is there with the right product, in the right place at the right time. Whether building original equipment or maintaining products in the aftermarket, we enable companies in every industry to be more efficient, productive, and profitable. We are Gates.
Has overall accountability for achieving the company’s production, profitability and safety goals, and cost reduction programs, while exceeding customer expectations at the site. Ensures Gates remains a leader in the industry in terms of having world class distribution operations and customer service by establishing/maintaining a culture of high performance and associate engagement. Responsible for all aspects of planning, organizing and directing of all operational activities of the site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned beyond the core functions listed below.
Leadership - Effectively manages all site and front line managers to ensure proper staffing levels, GPS boards, productivity data management, employee engagement, clear and open communication including regular reinforcement of the top 5 continuous improvement targets, shift requirements, customer requirements for production, ensures recordable safety incidents are clearly communicated and discussed to ensure appropriate actions are taken to prevent repeated incidents. Ensures strong communications throughout the facility, utilizes 5S strategies to maintain effective housekeeping, proper implementation and utilization of Lean Manufacturing/GPS principles/processes and attainment to CI activities as outlined by the business plan.
Distribution Operations – Leads the expectation and culture of performance. Ensures all daily shipments are managed effectively and any shortfalls are resolved as quickly as possible, provides daily re-enforcement of sites responsibility to meet customer requirements within required ship dates and deadlines, ensures shipping and distribution metrics are established, posted and managed, utilizing the use of “priority” lists for effective focus on daily/weekly/monthly needs for operation optimization. Ensures receipts are made in objectives to maintain customer fill rates. Direct management of DC finishing and assembly operations.
Safety - Leads the expectation and culture of zero workplace injuries through behavior based safety, daily shop floor safety inspections, prompt root cause investigation of all safety incidences, weekly review of all HSE projects and non-conforming issues report, monthly review of all internal HSE initiatives, recordable safety incident review and reporting, management systems and CI activities and support of all budgetary requirements. Directs the activities of the site HSE Coordinator in close coordination with the corporate and divisional HSE teams.
Quality - Drives strict adherence expectations of all quality management systems, monthly review of quality metrics, conducting random system checks for procedural compliance, ensure internal and external issues are effectively charted and posted for entire plant review and engagement into the quality CI initiatives and deliverables. Reviews the scrap levels and ensures mitigation measures are implemented to reduce costs. Must be certain that all operational systems and procedures adhere at all times to ISO 9000 and ISO/TS16949 standards and any other established company or industry quality standards. Maintain compliance with ISO14001, ISO18000 Environmental and Health & Safety accreditation. Directs the activities of the Site Quality Manager in close coordination with the corporate and divisional quality teams.
Customer Service – Ensures a data collection system is in place for external customer issues, lead teams for prompt customer support of voice, fax and email order management, ensure customer credits/debits are handled in timely fashion. Provide point of contact for customer issues, pricing issues and quality complaints.
Human Resources – Maximizes the utilization of human capital by ensuring talent is focused on key priorities and areas that deliver business results. Holds the site leadership team accountable for performance results and competencies, while ensuring managers are driving accountability within their teams. Builds organizational capability and hires with future bench strength and succession in mind. Focuses on people development initiatives to continually build the capability of all site employees. Empowers a collaborative and open working environment with strong communication at all levels, driving transparency in communications within the facility and division. Promotes fairness and consistency at all levels within the site. Drives involvement of the employees performing the work and encourages and reviews all ideas that are intended to improve the working environment. Ensures strict adherence to all corporate and divisional HR governance, ensures complete training matrixes are maintained for each department. Serves as an ambassador to the surrounding community and leads morale and recognition activities at the site.
Information Systems - Understands and supports IT roles and responsibilities within the site that support all manufacturing needs, proper licensing and control of all software in use, existence and relevant critical equipment lists to ensure effective removal of redundant or unnecessary equipment, promotes and budgets for CI regarding increased deployment of data acquisition and use of acquired data to drive management decisions,
Finance - Is fully accountable for the finances of the site including management of expense and capital budgets. Works to ensure that all reporting metrics are compiled on a timely basis to support business plan financial reporting schedules and related timing, detailed review of all capex, accurate compliance to all IPP documentation requirements, strict adherence to all financial governance guidelines. Is ultimately responsible for all control activities for the site ensuring compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley including ensuring that work is performed in line with the documented control activities. Is responsible for immediately informing the Divisional Controller if control activities are or become ineffective, is responsible for ensuring appropriate remediation actions are taken and resolution of ineffective control activity.
Maintenance - Equipment and building maintained in a proactive, cost efficient manner.
Performs other tasks or duties as assigned.
- Reports directly to the Director of US Distribution
- Has direct or indirect responsibility for management of all site employees.
- Works closely with global and regional counterparts on planning, global idea sharing, strategic planning and technological advancement
- Works closely with other departments while receiving or providing services
- Works with customers, suppliers and government officials as business needs dictate
- Travels regularly to attend management meetings within the division or region
- Must maintain a flexible work schedule to manage the demands of a distribution facility and unexpected customer needs
- Supports other global facilities as business needs dictate
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Operations Management or Logistics preferred. Master’s Degree or MBA desired.
- Must have extensive distribution experience, most of which was acquired in a senior managerial capacity and ideally within a lean manufacturing environment.
- Requires fluency in English.
- Requires 5-10 years of specific managerial experience.
- Must be an excellent proven leader, able to motivate a large diverse group of people and build a team that functions and excels together.
- Has a proven track record and demonstrated ability to think strategically then translate strategic vision into tactical actionable plans that result in delivered business results.
- Is globally and situationally adaptable to allow for quickly changing business needs in a global environment.
- Serves as a change agent to drive a culture of continuous improvement. Must know and apply all tools, principles and processes of GPS/Lean and DC Optimization tool set.
- Demonstrated ability to manage ambiguity effectively.
- Must be analytical and a good problem solver under high pressure situations.
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Possesses a leadership maturity that sets the expectation of communicating in a clear, concise, open and transparent manner inside and outside the facility.
- Manages conflict timely and effectively, while insuring professionalism at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to drive performance accountability within all levels at the site, ensuring effective feedback is provided to employees to drive professional growth.
- Has a demonstrated passion for work place safety and is capable of setting and managing safety expectations and standards.
- Strong financial discipline, business acumen and organizational abilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While in Manufacturing Plants or Distribution Centers, the environment in some areas could require safety PPE to include hearing protection, steel toed shoes, and safety glasses
Gates Corporation is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, age, disability, pregnancy, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other consideration defined by law.
Apply on company website