The primary focus of the Packaging Engineer at the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company is to design and develop packaging solutions for new and existing products. This position is responsible for working cross-functionally to commercialize packaging designs for retail, foodservice and inter-company products. This role also works to improve designs and efficiency on existing items both structurally and in production on the plant floor. The Packaging Engineer leads the distribution testing of packaged products to insure product integrity through the distribution cycle.
The work environment is focused on cross functional collaboration with Marketing, Purchasing, Operations, QA, R&D, Consumer Affairs, Regulatory, Project Management, and Sales. This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing and implementing packaging quality and food safety on all product lines.
- Act as the main point of contact and spokesperson for packaging across multiple brands.
- Design, develop, and commercialize new packages, line extensions and package improvements.
- Provide technical leadership in developing packages to create new business opportunities, enhance quality and/or drive down costs.
- Identify and implement productivity projects that include package redesign, component consolidation, and production line efficiencies.
- Conduct packaging line trials, distribution testing, and package performance testing for new and existing products.
- Active partner and contributor on cross-functional teams (which include teams such as Marketing, Procurement, Creative Services).
- Work with Plant Operations, Suppliers and Co-packers to assure packaging components are of high quality, and can easily run on packaging lines to be efficiently produced.
- Develop and maintain packaging specifications, pallet configurations, and packaging procedures.
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records and databases.
- Oversee packaging design, development and efficiency improvements at co-packing and co-manufacturing locations throughout Northern California.
- Theoretical and technical expertise of packaging materials (flexible, paperboard and corrugated).
- Strong mechanical aptitude; familiarity with vertical FFS machines.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concepts and procedures to all levels within the organization.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong statistical and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work within a cross functional team environment.
- Ability to set own priorities and to work independently and effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high degree of independence
- Strong project management skills required to implement multiple projects in a timely manner to meet required deadlines.
- Excellent computer literacy in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Microsoft Project experience or equivalent is a plus.
Education and Work Experience:
- BS Degree in Packaging Engineering or equivalent
- 2-5 years experience in consumer products or related industry - food-related packaging development is preferred
Salary Requirements: $83,383 - $112,567
Apply on company website