Work Shift: DAY - 8:00am - 5:00pm
Work Week: M - F - 8am - 5pm
The Pharmacy Buyer completes a variety of activities related to the drug procurement process which include, but are not limited to: reviews medication purchase orders, assesses contract compliance, identifies alternative product selections, and facilitates procurement of pharmaceuticals. Manages automated ordering systems and supports the efforts to consolidate and promote economies of scale. Conducts research and analysis of providers, identifies alternative sources, resolves supply issues with vendors, and ensures all purchasing activities are performed in accordance with purchasing policies and procedures.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
¿ Not applicable
¿ Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
¿ Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
¿ Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
¿ Preschooler (3-6 years)
¿ School Age (6-12 years)
¿ Adolescence (12-18 years)
¿ Young Adult (19-40 Years)
¿ Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
¿ Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE ¿ 20%
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. (EF)
2. Collaborates with staff members and vendors to resolve backorder issues and/or secure acceptable product substitution as needed to achieve identified patient specific goals. Negotiates with HM departments to utilize existing items as applicable. (EF)
SERVICE ¿ 20%
1. Attends committee meetings as appropriate to disseminate pertinent supply chain issues (i.e. P&T, MUFE, etc.). (EF)
2. Participates in negotiations for pricing, terms, service, additions to current contracts, and delivery of pharmaceuticals. Monitors wholesaler performance and reports discrepancies to recover lost monies. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY ¿ 20%
1. Evaluates the use of off-contract and/or non-formulary purchases and ensures adequate justification exists for such purchases. Reviews all drug orders to assure vendor selection complies with optimal contractual advantages. (EF)
2. Reviews Rasmas Recalls on a daily basis and takes appropriate actions accordingly. (EF)
3. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of vendor contracts. Resolves and notifies management of contract, purchasing, and/or supply issues. (EF)
FINANCE ¿ 30%
1. Reviews all drug orders and takes actions necessary to assure vendor selection complies with optimal contractual advantages: (EF)
2. Manages price changes and average wholesale price (AWP) updates. Ensures orders match price quotations and price changes are in accord with contract terms. (EF)
3. Borrows and loans medications when stockouts occur. Prepares, records and reconciles monthly required information of borrows and loans with hospitals involved and routinely clears outstanding balances. (EF)
4. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Recommends solutions in achieving departmental objectives. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION ¿ 10%
1. Works with wholesaler to manage automated ordering and inventory control systems. Looks for opportunities to create economies of scale and areas to streamline supply chain processes. Assists with special projects to reduce costs and consolidate processes. (EF)
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Pharmacy Buyer.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
¿ High School Diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.); two years of college preferred
¿ A minimum of 3 years of relevant pharmacy and/or purchasing experience required; experience in healthcare and working with vendor contracts highly preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
¿ Texas Pharmacy Technician Registration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
¿ Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
¿ Advanced level of knowledge of the procurement process experience in a hospital or related field
¿ Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, but not limited to work processing software applications
¿ Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
¿ Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
¿ Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Apply on company website