Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: Varies
At Houston Methodist, the Manager Nursing position is responsible for 24-hour comprehensive operational responsibility for the delivery and quality of patient care provided in the designated areas(s) of responsibility. This registered nurse position fosters interdepartmental/interprofessional collaboration. The Manager, Nursing position participates in committees, representing unit and Nursing in a positive manner.The position assists with developing and implementing performance initiatives, ensuring optimal patient safety, outcomes and customer satisfaction. This position demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills.
The manager position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/ government regulations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
2. Provides fair and consistent leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
3. Facilitates and promotes effective team dynamics and teambuilding strategies within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
4. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level. (EF)
5. Establishes effective, two way communication with staff, demonstrating active listening, requesting and acknowledging feedback, making equitable decisions, providing rationale when appropriate, and supporting organizational goals. Coaches staff to use efficient and effective communication to establish and maintain a team environment, and to include the patient and family as a part of the team regarding their plan of care. Assists staff with stress management practices. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Plans and organizes day-to-day department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Serves as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care and/or services, effectively resolve concerns, complaints or conflict with patients, families, physicians and other interprofessional health care team members, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures. (EF)
4. Maintains ongoing interactions with patients, families, physicians, and staff on how to improve patient care and service provided. Practices in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion principles. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines, including infection control principles. Monitors and confirms staff maintain their required credentials that demonstrate competency per accrediting agency or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
3. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses and/or adverse events immediately and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
4. Monitors self and employee compliance with policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
5. Prepares measurable goals and objectives that are consistent with Houston Methodist priorities, and develops action plans for achieving goals, incorporating collaborative efforts when appropriate. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
1. Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department/patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Plans coverage of unit to maximize presence of management and staff. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department/patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed shared governance activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
2. Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change; follows through to ensure effective, sustainable change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
3. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one¿s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
4. Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and IDP. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor¿s degree or higher in Nursing
o Three years¿ experience in nursing, one year in a progressive leadership role in healthcare; for HM internal, two years¿ experience in nursing which includes HM performance that demonstrates leadership abilities, i.e. charge nurse responsibilites
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
o Other credentials and certifications as defined by unit/service line
o American Nursing Credentialing Center (ANCC)-recognized certification within one year of eligibility; HMH - ANCC- recognized leadership certification within one year of eligibility
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one¿s intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one¿s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Demonstrates problem solving skills to include investigation, identification of cause(s) and development of corrective action
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Apply on company website