Work Shift: NIGHT
Work Week: Varies
At Houston Methodist, the Monitor Technician position performs accurate EKG rhythm interpretation and other in electrocardiography functions that support the interprofessional healthcare team in delivering high quality, cost-effective care. This position maintains competency in electrocardiography (EKG), monitoring/computer skills, and non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP) and pulse oximetry (SpO2) as appropriate. The Monitor Tech employs effective, prompt communication throughout the hospital complex and provides direct patient care by performing patient preparation for monitoring.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Promotes to a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear, and professional. (EF)
2. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Works well with others to make contributions to the work effort as a whole and facilitates problem resolution. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Provides direct patient care by performing patient preparation for monitoring. (EF)
2. Organizes workload, utilizing all available work time by assisting others and performing additional tasks. (EF)
3. Receives information from various sources that is assimilated and communicated in an accurate, timely and effective manner. (EF)
4. Demonstrates progressive skills through peer-to-peer accountability towards improving departmental score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
1. Demonstrates accuracy in EKG rhythm interpretation. As appropriate, monitors O2 sats and blood pressure, understanding parameters when to call a nurse. (EF)
2. Promotes quality patient care by vigilant identification of changes or abnormalities in EKG morphology. Takes corrective action or communicates immediately, when appropriate, to proper personnel. (EF)
3. Provides and accurately processes documents, quality data, and related centralized telemetry monitor (CTM) records. (EF)
4. Ensures all patient care equipment has had QC performed as required, is in safe working order prior to use and documents findings accordingly. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
5. Reports ¿near misses¿ and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 5%
1. Maintains and accurately processes records, when applicable. (EF)
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
1. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
2. Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Prior healthcare and/or medical terminology experience preferred
o EKG interpretation skills preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o American Heart Association BLS
o Successful completion of validated Basic EKG proficiency exam with a score of 80% and correct identification of lethal dysrhythmias during orientation
o EKG Monitoring Certification, either CCT, CET, CMT-BC, NRCEKG, ECG-BC or NTT through the National Telemetry Association, within 1 year of hire
o Current incumbents: one year from date of job description revision to obtain an EKG Monitoring Certification, either CCT, CET, CMT-BC, NRCEKG, NTT or ECG-BC
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
o Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, EPIC Information Systems and Microsoft Office software to maintain patient and exam document
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
o Successful passage of a basic EKG interpretation skills test for initial and ongoing orientation
o Maintains competency in non-invasive blood pressure (NIBP) and pulse oximetry (SpO2), as appropriate
o Demonstrates proficiency in the use and maintenance of equipment such as Remote Viewing Station (RVS), transmitters, monitoring equipment, computers, facsimile and printers
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Apply on company website