Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The Clinical Specialist II performs advanced clinical pharmacist duties enabling the delivery of optimal pharmacotherapy to patients and facilitate safe, efficacious, and pharmacoeconomically rational use of medications in the population(s) served. This involves daily medication therapy regimen reviews of patients within designated area(s) of responsibility, patient care rounds with medical and nursing staffs. Provides education to fellow pharmacists, nursing and medical staffs, and others inside and outside the department while conducting CQI evaluations, and basic research promoting the safe, effective use of medications. Precepts pharmacy students and pharmacy residents on clinical patient care rotations within areas of responsibility. Contributes to fulfilling the department¿s mission by collaborating to provide innovative, personalized, cost effective pharmaceutical care in a culture dedicated to quality and safety.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
2. Serves as a mentor for Clinical Specialists I and pharmacy residents on research projects. Precepts HM¿s ASHP- accredited residency programs, and students from affiliated colleges of pharmacy. (EF)
3. Develops educational materials and provides educational programs for the pharmacy staff and other hospital personnel.
1. Serves as a member on one or more Medical Staff Committees and actively contributes to accomplishing the goals of the committee or subcommittee. (EF)
2. Provides pharmaceutical care for designated practice area(s) to patients from a fundamental to advanced level. Activities include, but are not limited to, proactive drug therapy reviews and monitoring, providing drug information, patient counseling, management of pharmacist-based dosing protocols. (EF)
3. Processes all orders/requests accurately and efficiently, verifying appropriateness of all drugs in reference to the patient¿s diagnosis, allergies, height and weight. Exercises good judgment in patient care decisions per performance standard and documents patient care activities and patient outcomes as impacted by pharmaceutical care and clinical interventions. (EF)
1. Participates in developing medication therapy / disease state management protocols and/or dosing guidelines within specialty area. (EF)
2. Leads internal HM quality management and research program(s). Develops, implements, evaluates, and drafts reports of quality assurance program outcomes and conducts pharmacy research in concert with the departmental goals and objectives. (EF)
1. Contributes to the evaluation of medications for the HM Formulary, and provision of pharmacoeconomically sound medication in area (s) of responsibility. Participates in HM committees and initiatives involving medication use for the optimization of pharmacoeconomic benefits. (EF)
2. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and for specialty area of focus. (EF)
1. Contributes regularly to intra-departmental, interdepartmental publications. Supports the Department¿s ACPE delivery mission by providing ACPE programs and when needed, mentoring residents¿ preparation of ACPE programs. (EF)
2. Participates in research projects to advance the pharmacy department¿s goals and the pharmacy profession. Submits research and scholarly work for publication, platform presentations, and/or poster presentations. Gives presentations at local, state and national meetings; including in-services presentations to pharmacy, medical, nursing, and nutrition staff in area (s) of responsibility. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Clinical Specialist II. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Bachelor of Science degree or Doctor of Pharmacy degree
Successful completion of an ASHP-accredited post-graduate year 1 (PGY1) and year 2 (PGY2) residency training programs or equivalent experience
Completion of residency programs as defined above; or a minimum of 6 years clinical practice experience; or 3 years of experience as a HM Clinical Specialist I
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas Pharmacist License or eligible for Texas Pharmacist License- must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
American Heart Association BLS within 90 days of employment
American Heart Association ACLS certification within 90 days of employment
American Heart Association PALS within 90 days of employment for pharmacists regularly assigned to respond to code blue events (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
Texas Preceptor Certification within 90 days of employment
Sterile Compounding and Aseptic Technique (SCAT) and horizontal and/or vertical use Certification within 90 days of employment (*If verifying and/or preparing any sterile product- See manager for details and tracking certification information)
Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute Certificate within 90 days of employment (See manager for details and tracking information)
Texas Board of Pharmacy Specialist (BPS) Certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers. Capable of assuming responsibility for coordinating the activities of a major pharmacy service area
Demonstrate professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization, and distribution of drugs and drug information and apply these to all patient groups, neonate to geriatric
Operate at an expert level with regards to one¿s application of the principles of rational drug therapy including but not limited to: application of current evidence-based guidelines, novel and innovative clinical practices
Knowledge of operational pharmacy practice and demonstrated record of experience providing fundamental clinical pharmacy services and demonstrate experience with direct patient care activities and interactions with nursing and medical staff members
Research competence in an area related to the practice of pharmacy
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Apply on company website