Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: Varies
At Houston Methodist, the Sterile Processing Technician I is an entry level position and is responsible for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all ancillary departments which includes working in conjunction with the Operation Room (OR) staff to provide timely sterile products, trays and case carts where applicable. The position maintains consistent and continuous workflow between the OR and Central Service Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Communicates with staff from the interdisciplinary health care team concerning patient safety to improve outcomes and the safe transition of care through effective assignment and shift handoffs, using a structured format. (EF)
2. Demonstrates teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole and uses problem resolution effectively. (EF)
3. Interacts with peers, staff and physicians in a supportive and respectful manner. Encourages open communication to achieve mutual understanding. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Performs decontamination and assembling of basic surgical trays, individual instrumentation and equipment utilizing established count sheets. Wraps or contains items appropriately according to size and type of instrument or equipment. (EF)
2. Provides timely sterile products, trays and case carts, by location, by following guidance of experienced surgical techs, in conjunction with the OR staff. (EF)
3. Sterilizes instruments and surgical trays by following prescribed manufacturer instructions for use and according to institutional policies and procedures. (EF)
4. Organizes workload utilizing available work time by assisting others and performing additional task as needed. Demonstrates consistent and continuous workflow between the OR and Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Utilizes appropriate cleaning detergents and agents by reading directions and MSDS sheets. (EF)
2. Utilizes all department equipment according to manufacturers' instructions for use and department policies and protocols. (EF)
3. Ensures through visual inspection that trays have completed the quality process according to AAMI standards for patient use. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, cleaning the workstation at the end of each shift, and minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
2. Uses department resources efficiently to ensure completeness of trays, instruments and equipment according to count sheets; does not waste supplies. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. (EF)
2. Understands, applies, and demonstrates industry Sterile Processing standards i.e. Steam, ETO and Low Temperature Hydrogen Peroxide. (EF)
3. Participates in department projects and Shared Governance committee for department. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Formal education through a Sterile Processing program preferred
o 0 years of experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Within one (1) year of employment, obtain the Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification through International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM)
Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) certification through Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Independently demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Follows Universal Precautions by wearing the appropriate protective attire while working in the Decontamination area
o Exhibits interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
o Ability to utilize basic computer programs such as Microsoft Office and electronic instrument tracking system, if applicable
o Demonstrates proper phone etiquette when responding to inquiries made to the department
o Completes department and institution competencies within established required timelines
o Maintains patient and family privacy
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Apply on company website