Work Shift: EVENING
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Sterile Processing Technician II is responsible for maintaining high standards for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all ancillary departments, which includes working in conjunction with the Operating Room (OR) staff to provide timely sterile products, trays and case carts where applicable. This position maintains consistent and continuous workflow between the OR and Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service. The Sterile Processing Technician Tech II must be certified, and therefore should demonstrate advanced knowledge of sterilization techniques, surgical instruments, and an in-depth understanding of the Sterile Processing Department¿s relationship with other departments within the hospital.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 25%
1. Collaborates with staff from the interdisciplinary health care team concerning patient safety to improve outcomes and the safe transition of care through effective assignment and shift handoffs and uses a structured format for regular communication with staff members and physicians. (EF)
2. Demonstrates teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole and leads problem resolution effectively. (EF)
3. Serves as a preceptor and implements staff education specific to service lines and unit processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Performs decontamination and assembling of complex surgical trays, individual and potentially customized instrumentation and equipment utilizing established count sheets, using advanced skills and job-based competencies. Wraps or contains items appropriately according to size and type of instrument or equipment. (EF)
2. Functions independently to sterilize instruments and surgical trays by following prescribed manufacturer instructions for use and according to institutional policies and procedures. (EF)
3. Identifies and prioritizes timely sterile products, trays and case carts by interpreting the surgery schedule and based on the needs of the OR staff and physicians. (EF)
4. Ensures consistent and continuous workflow between the OR and Sterile Processing while practicing excellent customer service. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
1. Reviews and improves upon the effectiveness of the sterilization process by using internal, external and biological monitoring systems appropriately utilizing established department protocols and sterilizer manufacturers¿ instructions for use. (EF)
2. Anticipates/prevents and responds to emergent situations. (EF)
3. Understands and implements use of appropriate cleaning detergents and agents by reading directions and MSDS sheets and utilizing all departmental equipment according to manufacturers¿ instructions for use and department policies and protocols, providing clarification to others as needed. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Displays ability to manage time by completing assigned work and cleaning workstation at the end of each shift. (EF)
2. Utilizes department resources to ensure completeness of trays, instruments and equipment according to count sheets. Identifies cost saving measures related to processes and/or supplies utilized within the department to share with management. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Performs, trains, and mentors industry sterile processing standards i.e. Steam, ETO and Low Temperature Hydrogen Peroxide, while seeking opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. (EF)
2. Acts as resource on Shared Governance committee for department or other hospital committees. Participates in department improvement activities. (EF)
3. Works in conjunction with SPD Educator to provide at least two relevant educational/in-service presentations based on service line and department location. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Two (2) years of sterile processing experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) certification through International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management (IAHCSMM)
Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) certification through Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution, Inc. (CBSPD)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Independently demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Follows Universal Precautions by wearing the appropriate protective attire while working in the Decontamination area
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
o Ability to utilize basic computer programs such as Microsoft Office and electronic instrument tracking system, if applicable
o Demonstrates problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using analytical approach
o Demonstrates proper phone etiquette when responding to inquiries made to the department
o Completes department and institutional competencies within established required timelines
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Apply on company website