Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The purpose of the Houston Methodist Clinical Pharmacy Fellowship in Outcomes Research is to provide a highly-customized research training and experiences to pharmacists. Graduates of the program will be prepared to meet the research expectations of a doctor of pharmacy faculty member, clinical pharmacist, and medical science liaison for a pharmaceutical company.
Provide the fellow(s) with structured education and applied research experience that will help the fellow(s) improve healthcare capacity by impacting large groups of patients through the following mechanisms:
• Remove variation and streamline healthcare delivery processes in a healthcare setting
• Identify medication use practices that are not safe or not cost-efficient
• Develop interventions and protocols that deliver medical care in a standardized fashion that is consistent with high-quality research
• Review the literature to provide custom drug information products that can be used to support the medication formulary process in a hospital setting
1-4 per year
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental “Scope of Service” and “Provision of Care” plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Direct patient contact supporting the performance of clinical protocols.
- Enroll subjects into prospective studies and obtain informed consent from patients and legally authorized representatives in accordance with hospital policy and the study protocol.
- Collaborate with the Principal Investigator, multidisciplinary research team, fellowship stakeholders, and health care professionals regularly for problem resolution and/or achievement of research study goals.
- Serves as a mentor and provides educational and research oversight for other learners in the applicable department or research lab.
SERVICE - 20%
- Collect and process study data and maintain study databases in accordance with study protocols.
- Develop and conduct statistical analyses for interventional and observational studies using relevant statistical software.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Participate in study data auditing and monitoring procedures.
- Ensure study procedures are being conducted in accordance with hospital and research institute policy and Good Clinical Practice
- Communicate study findings to applicable hospital committees and stakeholders
- Completes fellowship objectives and all assigned duties as listed in the identified specific fellowship program.
FINANCE - 20%
- Participate in grant preparation and formal requests to solicit financial support for ongoing and planned studies.
- Manage study finances and resources needed to conduct a clinical study.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Develop study protocols, policies, procedures, and order sets based on evidence from published studies and findings from internal studies.
- Prepare and deliver educational presentations and deliver written reports of scholarship, including but not limited to, published manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals, quarterly activity reports to fellowship stakeholders, and activity reports to external study sponsors as needed.
- Assist with recruitment of future fellows into this fellowship training program
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Doctoral Degree in MD, PhD or PharmD
- 0-6 years of post-terminal experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Research laboratory and/or clinical research environment
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
Apply on company website