Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The Research Associate I is responsible for providing advanced technical research skills and establishing test methods and procedures under the direction of Department Chairperson or Scientist (Faculty).PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - %
- Oversees a team of Research Assistants and Post Docs 0-2.
- Assigns and reviews work of research project staff.
- Completes/performs research experiments and incorporates novel procedures and methods into research experiments as appropriate.
SERVICE - %
- Plans, directs and coordinates laboratory research projects (Low to medium complexity)
- Keeps good records of all procedures and outcomes.
- Analyze data for research grants and publications.
- Reviews scientific literature.
QUALITY/SAFETY - %
- Establishes and maintains quality control of project operations.
- Writes and maintains regulatory and safety committee applications/protocols
- Adheres to and assists with customizing of TMH and TMHRI Safety Procedures for Laboratory.
FINANCE - %
- Plans and carefully designs experiments.
- Keeps projects on required timelines.
- A steward of HM's resources and considers this for supply orders.
- Researches best cost/quality options for supply orders.
- Assists with ensuring orders are on appropriate grants.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - %
- Participates in grant writing.
- Determines specific research project goals and objectives to be attained. Assumes responsibility and oversight for those goals and objectives.
- Prepares scientific presentations for departmental meetings.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- MS with minimum 5 years experience OR
- Terminal degree with minimum 2 years experience
- 2-5 years experience, depending on education level
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities
- Proficient in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
- Demonstrates effective communication skills
- Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
Ability to work in office setting, involving the use of office equipment and supplies. Ability to work in a laboratory and/or animal research facility. Work in animal research facility requires health evaluation and approval by the HMH Employee Health or HMH Wellness department.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.
Apply on company website