Work Shift: PRN - AS NEEDED
Work Week: Work as needed
This position exists to ensure: Optimal medical nutrition therapy through:
- Individualized screening and nutritional assessment.
- Development and implementation of medical nutrition therapy care plans.
- Nutrition education.
- Monitoring through reassessment of response to nutrition care. Development of transitional feeding plan if indicated. Termination of nutrition intervention when clinically appropriate.
- Positive impact on quality and cost outcomes by assuring optimal medical nutrition therapy to minimize potential complications related to alterations of nutrition status.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Screening, assessment, reassessment and medical nutrition therapy.
2. Oversees nutrition screening
3. Assesses nutritional status of patients identified at nutritional risk by evaluating: age, gender, diagnoses, past medical & surgical history, drug-nutrient interactions, food allergies, cultural/religious food preferences, etc.; individualized nutritional needs; anthropometric measurements; biochemical/microbiological indices; organ system function; physical assessment; diet history; medications; alterations of nutrient digestion, absorption or metabolism; socioeconomic status.
4. Develops and implements medical nutrition therapy care plan.
5. Ensures safe, cost-effective & appropriate medical nutrition therapy
6. Recommends and/or implements appropriate nutrition care.
7. Assesses patient`s and/or caregivers` learning needs.
8. Educates patient, caregiver, interdisciplinary team and / or intradepartmental team on nutrition information .
9. Assesses effectiveness of nutrition education
10. Evaluates response to nutrition care for patients identified at nutritional risk, verifies written diet/nutrition support order prescribed by physician and evaluates clinical effectiveness and progress of nutrition care.
11. Facilitates communication of medical nutrition therapy care plan to assure continuity of care between patient care sites.
12. Suggests evaluation by adjunctive services as indicated.
13. Conducts training and mentorship when necessary.
14. Maintains annual professional portfolio for professional growth.
15. Completes self-evaluation for annual performance appraisal
16. Completes quality monitors
17. Completes activity / productivity & other reports on timely basis.
18. Identifies and documents evaluation of outcomes
19. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
20. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Baccalaureate degree in dietetics, food science, nutrition, institutional management or relevant field from an accredited university.
- Master degree in dietetics, food science, nutrition, institutional management or relevant field preferred.
- Completion of dietetic internship accredited by the American Dietetic Association
Preferred clinical nutrition experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Current registered member of The American Dietetic Association.
- Current license by Texas State Board of Examiners of Dietitians
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Full competency in computer applications, Microsoft Office applications, and Hospital information system applications.
- Full competency / skills in verbal and written comminication.
- Must comply with the City of Houston Food Ordinances.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, brining more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 251 licensed beds, 16 operating rooms and over 1,600 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Apply on company website