Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: This full time position will work Monday - Friday with varied daytime hours as needed between 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
JOB SUMMARY: The Lead Phlebotomist functions as the lead person for Phlebotomists within Laboratory Services and in this capacity performs lead job duties and/or regularly leads projects or performs specialized responsibilities as a regular part of normal job responsibilities. Serves as the liaison between management, staff and physicians for routine matters, resolving questions and issues. Serves to support staff in ensuring the delivery of exceptional patient care and adherence to standards of practice for optimal patient safety, quality outcomes, and customer service. Duties may be varied and may include many of the following: organize work schedules, create work assignments, review time cards for accuracy, conduct quality assurance audits of staff performance, develop and implement quality improvement activities, train and mentor staff, provide feedback on staff performance and developmental needs, collect/analyze/report on data, prepare reports on performance and metrics, and other responsibilities of a similar nature and level. Also functions at a Phlebotomist II level, performing phlebotomy and other specialized specimen collection procedures for patients.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Role models to team members effective communication and customer service skills, assisting in their development of such skills.
2. Orients, guides and mentors team members, students and support staff, to help build confidence and competency in skills, knowledge and abilities. Assists in interviewing and hiring of new staff.
SERVICE - 25%
1. Follows established procedure for collecting and processing biological specimens. Handles STAT samples expediently. Performs special collections/procedures as directed and according to competency and standard operating policies/procedures.
2. Performs a variety of Laboratory Information System functions. Uses the patient information system to thoroughly and accurately register patients and/or order tests per the requisition as needed. Files requisitions, reports and other pathology materials appropriately.
3. Independently handles resolution of complex problems and issues and notifies management of issue and resolution. Serves as liaison between team members, management and physicians, resolving routine matters.
4. Monitors and adjusts activities to ensure optimum patient throughput and patient experience. Conducts leader rounding to ensure patient satisfaction goals are met.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 40%
1. Performs interactive patient ID. Identifies patient and labels specimen correctly 100% of the time using two patient identifiers. Accurately processes, organizes, orders, labels and transports specimens for laboratory testing.
2. Recognizes and initiates action to resolve requisition and specimen labeling discrepancies. Recognizes problems, investigates the root cause, takes remedial action, and notifies management for follow-up.
3. Provides feedback to management on team member performance and conduct. Ensures team members follow AIDET protocols.
4. Develops, evaluates, and documents policies, processes and procedures.
5. Maintains a safe environment within the Laboratory, following all policies and procedures for safety, hazardous materials, security and emergency preparedness. Assists with implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives, standards of practice and protocols.
FINANCE - 10%
1. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. Provides leadership to staff on efficient utilization of time according to budgetary guidelines. Reviews team member's time cards for accuracy and management approval.
2. Uses department resources/equipment/supplies properly and efficiently. Participates in inventory management by taking action to ensure supply levels are adequate.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
1. Generates and communicates new ideas and suggestions that will improve quality or service.
2. Seeks continuing education opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development.
- High school diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Course in phlebotomy/venipuncture preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience required which must include data entry and specimen handling
- Neonatal/pediatric phlebotomy experience required
- Previous experience leading a team preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- None required
- Certification as Phlebotomist by Board of Certification (ASCP), (ACA), (AMT), (NCCT) preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED to perform the Essential Functions of the Job:
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going evaluations consisting of one or more of the following: skills, competency assessments and/or performance reviews
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of specimen requirements for testing such as serum, plasma or whole blood, tissue and body fluids
- Demonstrates knowledge of different specimen collection containers and media
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
- Strong organizational skills to handle a heavy workload and maintain accuracy
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Laboratory Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and testing records and other related documents
- Independently adapts to multiple ongoing priorities including organizing work flow
- Demonstrates independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action
- Strong training, leadership, and mentoring skills
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Apply on company website