Position at IDEA Public Schools
About El Paso
In 2018, IDEA launched 4 schools that support our promise of college for all students in the El Paso Region. El Paso has consistently been rated as one of the safest cities in the United States of America for over 20 consecutive years. In addition to this ranking, El Paso was also selected as a 2018 All-America City, earned the Governor's Achievement Award, and was named the fifth-best small city in America.
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In 2019, we will grow to 6 schools serving El Paso and Socorro.
By 2022, IDEA will operate 173 schools in 10 regions educating a hundred thousand students on their road to and through college.
Role Mission: The Regional Registered Nurse (RN) at IDEA Public Schools is responsible for the health and wellness of all students at an assigned campus and also provides technical supervision and guidance to campus health aides in the region.
- 100% of students have all state required immunizations by third Friday in October, with immunizations kept current through the last day of school.
- Educate parents on the importance of vaccines, with the only unvaccinated students being those who have legal exemptions
- Utilize state specific system to allocate student immunization records prior to requesting from parent
- Partner with local health department and Assistant Principal of Operations (APO) to set up on-site immunization clinics during registration days or campus events prior to state snapshot date in October
- Maintain student immunization record in Nurse's Aide software, updating daily to have accurate data
- Submit weekly report to HQ on campus immunization status
- Send immunization notification to parents with a due date for vaccine compliance
- 100% of required students are screened by the second Friday in December, with 100% of findings resolved by the first Friday in March
- Partner with APO to create a screening calendar, based on student availability
- Demonstrate a screening to Pre-Kinder and Kinder classrooms that will show the process and alleviate fear of screening
- Schedule and prepare volunteers to assist in supervising students to and from the screening area
- Identify and train a backup partner (an ops team member) to run the clinic during screenings
- Develop plans and identify resources to help students and families resolve all screening findings (ex. finding of vision impairment, resolution = connecting student with eyeglass providers and voucher for payment)
3.Decrease the population of students that are over the 85th percentile BMI by 5% by last day of school
- Partner with Child Nutrition Program, Physical Education teachers, and APO to create healthy after-school events for students
- Utilize the Parent Weekly to share healthy recipes and health-related information
- Plan after-school activities that provide rigorous movement and exercise
- Engage and educate IDEA Team and Family including team members, parents, and students on health, wellness, and nutrition
- Lead campus recess efforts with health aide to increase student's access to healthy lifestyles choices
- Collaborate with Physical Education team to implement Fitnessgram testing
4.100% of campuses are fully operational by the first day of school
- Clinic is set-up and operational with all furniture and equipment ready to be used, supplies in their proper place, software system working and ready to take student information
- Current forms for the new school year updated and ready for parents to use
- All clinic documents on file
- AED installed and functional in hallway
- ImmTrac / SAIRs / Border Health log in set up
5. 97.5%ADA for Academy and College Prep
- Partner with ops team to make calls to parents with students not in school; if ill, offer to administer medication or perform procedures in clinic to bring student in
- Partner with facilities team to clean areas of concern (rooms with a high incidence of student illness)
- Encourage hand washing on campus by posting signage and posters where appropriate
- Share informational videos on healthy eating and healthy habits with teachers for students to watch during breakfast in the classroom
- 85% retention of Health Services staff in region
- Schedule campus visits to work with each health aide once a quarter
- Develop a relationship of trust and confidence with each health aide in region, helping them understand their roles and responsibilities
- Provide technical support and training, as needed
7. We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Education: Bachelor's degree required
- Experience: 5+ years of nursing experience required; school-based experience preferred
- Experience: adult education/training experience preferred
- Licenses or Certifications: Registered Nurse licensure
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.
Apply on company website