Bring Your Passion To The Forefront:
Cytotechnologist - Full -Time - Day
Location: Main Campus - Harvey
Join the hospital trusted by Chicago's Southland, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, in this role.
Cytotechnologist Position Summary:
Under the direction of the Pathologists and Pathology Supervisor, the Cytotechnologist assumes complete responsibility for the efficient and technical operations of the Cytology Section of the Anatomic Pathology Department in the absence of the Lead/supervising Cytotechnologist. The Cytotechnologist is expected to function independently with minimal supervision; is held accountable to maintain and promote trust, recognition and respect for the laboratory by positively interacting with physicians, patients and other hospital employees; will demonstrate personal and professional responsibility; participates in Quality Control and quality improvement activities; assists in activities for achieving accreditation and corporate compliance for Cytology; and maintains proficiency in all aspects of performance of a Cytotechnologist to include primary screening of Cytology specimens, specimen preparation, preparation of Cytology reports and statistics, and maintaining records, supplies and competencies.
Cytotechnologist Education & Job Requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university with twenty (20) semester hours of biological science, eight (8) semester hours of chemistry, three (3) semester hours of mathematics. Successful completion of a 12 month accredited Cytotechnologist program. Successful challenge of the accredited registry examination and Thin Prep certified.
- Graduated from an Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) accredited school of cytotecnology or other organization approved by Health and Human Services (HHS); or
- Certified in cytotechnology by a certification agency approved by HHS (e.g., American Society of Clinical Pathology). New graduates must obtain licensure within 6 months of their start date
Cytotechnologist Job Description
- Provides assistance to physicians and is primary resource for Cytology technical and operational matters.
- Wears appropriate PPE at all times.
- Demonstrates knowledge/judgment concerning cytology procedures and ability to establish priorities and organize effectively.
- Screens Cytology specimens, reviews specimen preparation quality, prepares Cytology reports within an appropriate time limit per specimen type.
- Receives and accessions cytology specimens, prints labels and prepares cytology specimens for screening.
- Performs an immediate stain on all FNA specimens, as needed.
- Evaluates results/correlates results with histological report and/or reviews with Pathologist.
- Demonstrates accuracy in screening cytological specimens.
- Successfully completes annual proficiency exam for GYN screening.
- Participates in Cytopathology Interlaboratory Educational Comparison Programs.
- Maintains monthly statistical records in the absence of the lead/supervisor.
- Maintains daily logs as required by accrediting organization and CLIA.
- Maintains cleanliness or workstation, disposes of waste appropriately.
- Operates and maintains equipment in Cytology and insures proper functioning of equipment, promptly notifies department lead or supervisor of instrument or reagent malfunction.
- Adheres to OSHA/CLIA/HIPAA/DNV/CAP, TJC and other accrediting guidelines.
- Supports departmental LEAN initiatives through direct participation or the follow through of the standard work created through a LEAN event.
- Successful completion of annual hospital and departmental competencies and lab safety requirements.
- Other duties as needed.
Apply on company website