Join a world-class academic healthcare system, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, as a Medical Technologist in the Microbiology Lab.
In this role as a Medical Technologist, you will perform routine and esoteric tests, operate state-of-the-art instruments, and provide accurate and efficient results. You'll be responsible for quality control, instrument maintenance, and method development to support a broad menu of routine and esoteric tests, including antibody identification. This department provides reference laboratory testing to various related and unrelated health care entities, managed care organizations and non-affiliated hospitals, outpatient clinics and private physicians' offices. We offer a full range of diagnostic services in both clinical and anatomical pathology and have various areas of expertise.
Under direct supervision of the Lab Supervisor, the Medical Technologist, obtains, processes, analyzes and reports patient test results. Performs and interprets quality control and implements corrective action. Performs basic equipment maintenance and troubleshooting. Provides technical assistance to customers when appropriate. Pursues continuing education opportunities. Total responsibility is defined by levels of competence, experience and participation. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
Observes and adheres to all corporate compliance requirements and communicates issues as they arise to the appropriate parties as identified in the Corporate Compliance Plan and Departmental Compliance Plan.
Identifies opportunities to improve departmental efficiency through time and cost savings contributions.
Controls and maintains inventory and supplies for section at an optimum level.
Provides technical assistance to customers when appropriate and promotes teamwork through communication and support.
Performs standard, specialized automated and non-automated laboratory techniques.
Operates all laboratory instruments within their section and insures proper functioning of equipment for patient testing by performing necessary quality control and/or calibrations.
Trouble shoots instrument malfunction and performs major repairs on selected instruments.
Maintains records/documentation and processes data and enters results into computer system, demonstrating proficiency on the LIS/HIS systems.
Prepares samples for analysis and determines acceptability of samples for testing according to departmental policy and procedures.
Has the ability to work all workstations within their assigned department/section and can be cross-trained to work at least one station or another.
Accurately verifies results within time line limit (i.e., stats< one hour).
Evaluates and interprets results. Recognizes/reports abnormal results, identifies, calls and documents critical value results 100% of the time.
Adheres to Standard Precautions, Hospital and Laboratory safety policies and procedures 100% of the time.
- Working knowledge of medical laboratory technical procedures, concepts, and applications normally attained through successful completion of a baccalaureate degree with specific training in medical technology and/or successful challenge of an accredited proficiency examination
- Alternate: A B.S. degree from an accredited college or university with 32 semester hours in Biology and Chemistry and a MLT (ASCP) certification and three years full time experience in a clinical laboratory in Blood Bank, Hematology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Immunology and Clinical Chemistry within the last 10 years OR a B.S. from an accredited university and five years full time clinical experience.
- At least one year of pertinent laboratory experience
- MT (ASCP), MT eligible or equivalent
- Knowledge and ability to use laboratory/hospitals information systems
- Knowledge and ability to use automated and conventional laboratory equipment
- B.S. in biological science and successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Technology program plus successful challenge of an accredited proficiency examination
- Job Type/FTE: Registry (.001)
- Shift: Rotating (8-hr)
- Unit/Department: Microbiology Lab
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Apply on company website