Cancer Registrar Certified - Wellness Center - INTEGRIS
Job Code: 8166
Collects, abstracts, codes and analyzes data on patients identified with a diagnosis and/or treated malignancy (cancer) and follows patient for survival. Conducts patient care evaluations, and performance improvement studies (PCE/PIP). Prepares statistical data for reports/graphic presentations for cancer related committees, research, medical staff requests, and/or the State of Oklahoma Registry requests. Coordinates physician-led tumor board and cancer conference and cancer committee preparation. Responsible for meeting standards as outlined in ACOS Commission on Cancer Program Manual. Performs other duties as assigned. Adheres to National Patient Safety Goals as appropriate based on the level of patient contact this position requires.
INTEGRIS Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
The Cancer Registrar responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Follows standard procedures for cancer case finding to include identifying all cases of malignant disease from departments of the hospital and clinics where patients are diagnosed and treated, such as pathology, radiation therapy, medical records department, and physician private practice offices.
* Coordinates with other departments and physician offices to request and obtain pathology reports, hospital medical records, physician office charts, not limited to pathology, radiology, surgery, radiation oncology and medical oncology.
* Obtain core information from the patient's medical records/office charts, including but not limited to demographic characteristics, previous history of cancer, diagnostic procedures, diagnosis, and treatment. Code topography and morphology, stage and extent of disease of tumor cases. Enter data into cancer registry computerized system.
* Follow all living patients to obtain end results information on the quality of life and length of survival. This process is accomplished via review of patient's medical records, written and telephone contact to physicians, patients, daily hospital discharges, newspaper obituaries, Internet Death Search, and other agencies having vital statistic information. Update data on cancer registry computerized system. A 90% or greater follow up rate must be maintained.
* Maintain quality control of case finding, abstracting, coding, follow up and data processing procedures.
* Assemble and disseminate data collection in the cancer registry. Process requests for data. Prepares narrative reports and graphic presentations of data. Design tables, charts and graphs. Assists the cancer committee in developing criteria for patient care evaluations/Performance Improvement Plans (PCE/PIP) and annual goals.
* Serves as physician contact in scheduling all cases for presentation at physician 'led tumor board and breast conference. Notifies appropriate departments of cases scheduled (radiology and pathology). Coordinates information, formulates case lists resumes and distributes to multiple departments/staff members.
* Provides staff assistance to the physician led tumor board and breast conference. Attends and transcribes case summaries to include outline of medical history, physical findings, stage of disease, clinical course, radiological and pathologic studies and interpretations, and conference recommendations. Monitors attendance for CME and forwards evaluations to Medical Education.
* Serves as liaison to ensure approved cancer program status is maintained with all standards met or exceeded.
Ongoing involvement with patient care guidelines/Performance Improvement Plans (PCE/PIP), from development to monitoring, as appropriate.
Reports to Manager Cancer Registry or Cancer Registrar Team Lead
Required Physical Demands (Subject to Reasonable Accommodation):Keyboarding/Dexterity: Frequently; activity exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
Standing/Walking: Occasionally; activity exists up to 1/3 of the time
Strength (Lift/Carry/Push/Pull): Sedentary (exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally)
Talking (Must be able to effectively communicate verbally): Yes
Color Acuity (Must be able to distinguish and identify colors): No
This position may have additional or varied physical demand and/or respiratory fit test requirements. Please consult the Physical Demands Project SharePoint site or contact Risk Management/Employee Health for additional information.
Normal office environment.
All applicants will receive consideration regardless of membership in any protected status as defined by applicable state or federal law, including protected veteran or disability status.
* Associates degree or equivalent experience in medical setting
* Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) is required
* Broad based knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, ICD 9 CM, and CPT coding is required
* Extensive knowledge of cancer registry software system
* Extensive knowledge of coding and AJCC TNM staging
* Experience must have resulted in acquiring a broad based knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology
* Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft applications
Apply on company website