Assumes the duties of the regularly assigned classroom teacher in his/her absence. A substitute teacher is directly responsible to the Grade Level Administrator for which they are substitute teaching as well as all expectations set forth by the Human Resources Department. The substitute should be prepared to follow the plans provided by the teacher and depend on the substitute's teaching skills to provide a positive learning environment for pupils. The substitute is also required to fulfill all the extra duties assigned to the teacher for which they are temporarily replacing.
• High School Diploma or GED required for all Substitute positions.
• Bachelor's Degree in Education or related field preferred.
For Special Education positions -
• Valid TEXES Special Education (EC-12) required (SPED positions only)
For Bilingual positions -
• Valid TEXES Bilingual Certification required
• Fluent in Spanish (oral and written required for Bilingual positions only)
• Two (2) years working with children preferred
• Previous teaching experience preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
• Teaches with understanding and respect for the individuality of each pupil.
• Follows the lesson plans the teacher prepared in order to provide an effective lesson for students.
• Consults with a Principal or Grade Level Administrator, before initiating any teaching or other procedure not specified in the lesson plans.
• Records attendance and all other requested documentation.
• Adheres strictly to professional ethics.
• Protects confidentiality of all ILTexas students.
• Manages the learning environment by handling non-instructional tasks efficiently, using instructional time appropriately, maintaining an effective physical setting for instruction, and maintaining appropriate student behavior in the classroom.
• Makes necessary referrals of pupils to other professional personnel according to district policy.
• Reports in writing the day's activities to the regularly assigned classroom teacher.
• Returns all instructional materials, equipment, and keys to the proper place at the conclusion of the teaching day.
• Reports all student injuries, accidents, illnesses, and discipline problems as well as all student concerns or allegations to the appropriate authority immediately, or as soon as is reasonably possible.
• Reviews job status i.e. dates, times, cancelations, number of days of the assignment etc. regularly in order to ensure the substitute's awareness of all job requirements as well as any changes made to the assignment.
• Attends to the needs of students and engages them in learning at all times during the assignment.
• Willingness and flexibility to change an assignment (be it grade level or subject) at a moment's notice when asked by a building administrator.
• Work in a positive and cooperative manner with para educators, support staff, and all others in the school setting.
• As assigned by Principal
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must be able to work at least 12 assignments per school semester and follow through with all accepted assignments (Semesters are from August 2018-December 2018 and January 2019 - May 2019).
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written.
• Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
• Excellent time management skills, good judgment and problem solving abilities.
• Ability to conform to proper standards of professional dress and appearance.
• Provide a safe and healthful environment for students of various schools.
• Ability to communicate in Spanish fluently (for Bilingual positions only).
• Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
• Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
• Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
• Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
• Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
• In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
• Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee's supervisor
• All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of ILTexas and is appropriate for their position
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Occasional light lifting andcarrying (less than 15 pounds)
Available to work 5 days per week 8 hours daily
Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
Apply on company website