The Helper/Helper I, entry-level position, performs general building maintenance tasks and assists mechanics and engineers with maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and equipment. The Helper 1 will receive general supervision from the Chief Engineer or other designated authority. Work involves lifting heavy mechanical equipment and components and may be performed in areas of extreme heat and cold.
- Assists engineers and mechanics with the operation, maintenance and repair of all mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety systems and other equipment in assigned properties
- Performs preventive and reactive equipment maintenance as required by Company standards and manufacturers' specifications and documents actions/measures with the service request system
- Quickly responds to and resolves tenant and property management service requests and documents actions with the service request system
- Performs general building maintenance and repairs, including re-lamping, plumbing, locksmithing, and painting equipment, mechanical, related spaces, and other minor spot and touch-ups as needed
- Conducts periodic inspections of mechanical, common and vacant spaces and appurtenances; maintains these areas in a clean, operational, orderly, and safe condition
- Responds to alarms and incidents of any nature, provides assistance when needed, and identifies recurring issues for follow up and correction
- Ensures that required documentation, operating logs, and maintenance forms are completed accurately and clearly and are maintained in Company Compliance Books, paper files, and electronic data/filing systems
- Responsible for complying with and enforcing policies from the Employee Handbook, Operations Manual, safety guidelines, and accepted Company practices
- Performs other duties and completes special projects as assigned; and carries out all tasks assigned by managers and supervisors in an efficient and timely manner
- This position requires a regular, scheduled work shift set by the supervisor
- Carry and utilize Company issued communication devices for emergency response and daily communication
- As essential building personnel the responsibilities of this position occasionally require overtime, weekend and holiday work on a scheduled, short-notice or emergency basis
Education, Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required
- Certification as a CFC Universal Technician from an EPA-approved program is preferred
- One or more years' experience in general building trades is preferred but not required
- Experience processing service requests and/or preventive maintenance requests with a computerized maintenance management system is preferred
- Possesses basic knowledge of hand and small power tools, familiarity with machinery and fundamentals of electricity is desired
- Able to demonstrate mechanical aptitude to the Company
- General knowledge of safe work practices & OSHA regulations, OSHA 10 training is preferred
- General capability with the operation of a PC and mobile communication devices, including Internet browsers
- Ability to efficiently manage time and supplies
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and within a team environment, proactively contributes ideas to improve operations
- Ability to write, comprehend and execute written and oral instructions in English and perform basic arithmetic calculations
- Provide an effective means for contact after normal working hours and be able to respond to urgent building issues
- Exercises good judgment, uses discretion, and quickly follows through and follows up with a keen attention to detail to resolve issues
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage concurrent tasks with multiple deadlines, flexible, versatile and quickly adapt to rapidly changing priorities
- Maintains a composed, friendly demeanor; professional appearance; possesses effective interpersonal relationship skills, and the ability to communicate in a confident, positive, professional manner to customers, employees, visitors, and vendors
- Self-directed, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and possesses a strong desire and ability to learn and understand
- Must be reliable, punctual, dependable with excellent attendance, and have schedule flexibility to respond to callbacks and work overtime as required to meet business needs
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is subject to extremes of temperature while working in mechanical rooms or with equipment outdoors. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, high voltage electricity with risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extremes of outdoor weather conditions and temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and occasionally requires the use of hearing protection equipment.
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.
Apply on company website