The Service Tech II is an experienced professional who takes pride in the quality of their work and ensures that apartment homes meet JBG SMITH's high standards. They assist and work under the direct supervision of the Service Manager, performing necessary repairs and preventive maintenance throughout the entire property. The Service Tech II continually strives to increase his/her working knowledge of the property.
• Monitors and assists in the completion of make ready units
• Trouble-shoots, diagnoses and corrects air conditioning failures (i.e., low refrigerant, bad compressor, fan motors, etc.). Appropriate EPA certification may be required
• Trouble-shoots, diagnoses and corrects heating failures (i.e., replace heat strips, exchangers, thermo-couplings, etc.)
• Trouble-shoots, diagnoses and corrects appliance failures (i.e., change out or repair dishwater motors, garbage disposals, ice makers, stove elements, thermo-couplings, etc.)
• Repairs electrical problems (i.e., change out switches, receptacles, fixtures, etc.). Works with high voltage 110-220 volts
• Repairs plumbing problems (i.e., change out bibbs, seats, pop-up assemblies, operate sewer machines, sweat copper lines, maintains boiler logs, etc.)
• Provides carpentry and sheet rock repairs (i.e., remove/replace door frames, patch holes in sheet rock, apply texture, repair sub floors, repair cabinets, etc.)
• Assists in monitoring inventory of maintenance and cleaning supplies, facilitating accurate replacement orders
• Performs necessary repairs and preventive maintenance on vacant units
• Maintains adequate supply of rental units ready for occupancy and sales presentations, may assist as required and assigned in painting of interior units, office, clubhouse, laundry rooms, common areas, and occupied units
• Repairs/patches carpet and re-stretches, installs vinyl tile, or sheet goods
• Re-key locks and cut keys
• Continuously inspects the property for safety hazards that pose a liability or potential liability and corrects them immediately, advising supervisor of necessary action
• Shares on-call duty and is available at all times via pager, unless previous arrangements have been made
• Performs reasonable duties under supervisor's direction in completing resident work orders and requests for service
• Incorporates both safety and customer service in performance of all job duties.
• Performs other reasonable duties as assigned
• Completes roof repairs (composition and built-up roofs). Must be able to climb to and walk on all roof areas of the property
• Performs supplemental landscape maintenance and irrigation system repair so that landscape areas are tidy, trimmed and adequately watered. Replaces sprinkler heads, digs up and repairs broken lines, adjusts time clocks, etc
• Performs supplemental exterminations as needed and allowed by law in vacant units, ant beds, etc
• Travels to suppliers to pick up parcels and supplies as directed
• Cleans snow and ice using hand and power tools
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2 - 4 years of well-rounded maintenance experience (i.e. electrical, plumbing, appliance, AC, etc.)
- At least one year of apartment maintenance experience is preferred.
- CFC certification is preferred (Type II or universal)
- Completion of training in both plumbing and electricity
- HVAC certification is required at certain properties
- Must pull call, which requires responding to emergencies within 30 minutes or less
- Valid Driver's License needed
- Solid verbal communication skills and great customer service
An employee in this position must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of the following tools:
- Hand Tools: Various wrenches, hammer, grips, saws, sledgehammer, snips, post hole diggers, etc.
- Power Tools: Wrenches, grinders, sanders, drills, saws, etc.
- User-Moved Aids: Wheelbarrows, dollies, hand trucks, buckets, hoists, jacks, stepladders, full ladders, double ladders.
- Mechanical: Motors, pumps, compressors, blowers, electric and hand power augers, etc.
- Measuring: Calipers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, testing meters, PH tests, gauges, etc.
- Employee must own tools necessary for completion of their job duties and agree to obtain any additional tools as required to perform their duties. The property owns no hand tools.
· Respect, honesty, and integrity
· Professional presentation
· Calm under pressure
· Passion for service
· Strong work ethic
· Commitment to teamwork
· Adept at listening to others
· Dependability and adaptability
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.
Apply on company website