At Johns Manville, we protect our employees, communities, environment, and the world. We are hiring a Plant Safety Specialist to join our Safety team in Waterville, Ohio. The Plant Safety Specialist will focus on plant safety, rollout safety policies, and think outside the box to take the safety program to the next level. If you are someone who enjoys working independently as well as in a team environment this position will be just that. The Plant Safety Specialist will work with the plant operations team and corporate Safety team to embrace our goal of a 'zero harm workplace'. If you enjoy rolling out programs, multi-tasking, being creative, taking on investigations, influencing decisions, and helping drive our Safety goals towards a safety-first culture we want to hear from you. This position reports to the Complex Health and Safety Manager in Waterville, Ohio.
Your Day to Day:
- Supports and promotes safe practices in alignment with company commitments, policies, and compliance requirements.
- Act as an OSHA regulatory compliance resource.
- Establish and drive continuous improvement in the facility's safety monitoring and recordkeeping systems to ensure compliance with all JM policies and federal regulatory requirements.
- Assist HS Manager and JM Corporate Safety to evaluate and determine appropriate proactive safety strategies for projects that may have an impact on existing facility or employees.
- Develop action plans for safety activities, coordinate safety committees, perform follow-up on these activities, and report status to HS Manager.
- Facilitate safety training for all plant personnel (New Hire Safety Training, Behavior Based Safety, Confined Space, Working at Heights, Cranes and Overhead Lifting, Machine Safeguarding, Control of Hazardous Energy, Hazard Recognition, others as needed). Deliver and/or secure outside resources as needed, develop custom content site-specific training, and oversee assignment and tracking of annual training through Safety Skills/computer-based learning management system.
- Compile and track all documentation for compliance with all safety policies and required safety activities (Work Notifications, Safe Work Permits, Hot Work Permits, Confined Space Entry Permits, Working at Heights Permits, Inspection Records, etc.).
- Work within HS department on plant initiatives towards Lean, Kaizen, Cost Reduction, 5S and other facility improvements.
- Ensure compliance with all safety policies, procedures, and programs.
- Work with HS Team to ensure all safety and health metrics and reports are completed and communicated in a timely manner.
- Assist with job hazard identification, PPE selection, specification, coordination, and distribution through vendor management system.
- Champion Serious Injury and Fatality (SIF) prevention through precursor identification, employee education and training, tracking and promotional campaign.
- Identify and work to reduce safety hazards proactively through regular plant walks; leverage the hierarchy of controls to identify effective corrective actions to reduce hazards.
- Facilitate and field employee safety questions and concerns, address their needs while collaborating with departments on viable solutions.
What You Bring to the Team:
- Bachelor s degree AND a minimum of 4 years work experience in health and safety in a manufacturing environment
- Thorough knowledge of regulatory standards and ability to work with respective outside agencies
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills Solid Expert
- Working knowledge of behavior-based safety including general principles, audit process, root cause analysis, incentives, and accountability
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams
- Ability to work well with a production workforce and senior leadership
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Demonstrated ability to develop and conduct training
- Ability to climb stairs, ladders, extensive walking, confined spaces, wear respirator and handle exposures to hot/cold environments.
- May be required to lift, carry, push, or pull up to and including 50 pounds
- Moderate travel required 11 to 29 days per year
- Bachelor's or Master's in Safety and Health Field
- Certified Industrial Hygienist or Certified Safety Professional
- OSHA VPP certification experience
- Solid knowledge and experience in Lean, Six Sigma, or similar continuous process improvement methodology
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts, health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Why Johns Manville
Johns Manville is a proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, serving customers in more than 80 countries, supplying innovative products to the construction, aerospace, automotive, filtration and energy industries. With a more than 160-year legacy, we understand that our story continues to grow only with the right people saying, thinking, and doing the right things. Make your story our story.
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing, and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company, and our communities.
Hear Our Employee Stories
You can find a playlist of employee story videos to choose from here
Learn more at www.jm.com/careers and on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Apply on company website