Johns Manville is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Sr. Glass Technology Engineer located in the Johns Manville Technical Center in Littleton, CO.
This position plays a key role in our support of glass production operations in North America and Europe from our corporate research and development facility in Littleton, CO. Responsibilities include monitoring and controlling production glass chemistries, supporting operations through application of laboratory measurement technologies for trouble shooting and problem solving, developing new glass formulations for cost savings and improved glass properties, and leading equipment and process designs of the batch processes in capital projects. Ideal candidates will have an advanced engineering degree, working knowledge of glass chemistry and production processes, experience in design and operations of batching systems, and willingness to work directly (onsite when necessary) with our production facilities and capital project engineering group. Collaboration and passion for results are important attributes. This position reports directly to our R&D Glass Technology Platform Leader.
- Use statistical (SPC) techniques to monitor and control glass chemistries for achieving property and compositional targets
- Use statistical (SPC) techniques to monitor and control raw materials for glass production and develop specifications for new raw materials and products
- Lead and support batch process design and operational improvements through plant support and capital projects
- Evaluate and determine technical specifications for new and existing raw materials
- Utilize our R&D analytical laboratories for routine and special testing of glasses and raw materials
- Develop appropriate new routine and non-routine testing for glasses and materials for production and problem solving
- Travel to plant locations to interface with division customers on batch and glass related issues and capital expansions
- Develop glass formulations and processes to meet specific new product and process requirements
- Provide batch, glass, refractory, and furnace technical expertise for production problem solving
- Lead, plan, and conduct plant level trials of different raw materials and glass chemistries
- Travel expected to be normally 25% with some months up to 50% during capital project startups or other large projects
What You Bring to the Team:
Bachelor's Degree in Ceramic Engineering or Materials Science/Engineering with 5 years of relevant work experience as it relates to this position, OR we are open to a PhD or Master's degreed candidate in Ceramic Engineering or Materials Science/Engineering with 0-1 year of relevant work experience.
- Experience in glass chemistry as it relates to industrial scale glass production processes and equipment, including compositional development for specific glass and product properties
- Working knowledge of analytical laboratory techniques relevant to glass, ceramics, and industrial minerals
- Experience in statistical process control, including developing sampling and inspection plans, constructing control charts, and conducting gage capability studies
- Good formal and informal verbal, written, and presentation communication skill
- Demonstrated interest and experience in production support
- Demonstrated interest and experience in batch processes and equipment evaluation and design, including developing project scopes of work
- Demonstrated application of analytical laboratory measurements for problem solving
- Demonstrated interest and experience in industrial glass composition development
- Experience with data mining and analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of gas and electric fired glass furnace operation
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree or PhD in Ceramic, Glass, or Materials Science and Engineering with a minimum 3 years combined work experiences with positions in laboratories, R&D, and operations
- Experience in design and operation of bulk material conveying systems, including pneumatic and mechanical systems
- Knowledge of fiber forming processes
- Knowledge of process control and data collection systems
- Knowledge and understanding of minerals and mineral processing, including processing of recycle glass cullet
- Working knowledge of computer-based models for processes and operations
- Working knowledge of glass industry related refractories and applications
- Knowledge of glass making raw materials
Applicants can expect to make between $93,000 to $153,000 upon hire. Pay within this range will vary based upon relevant experience, skills, and education among other factors. In addition, this position is eligible for a target incentive bonus under our variable incentive plan.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Why Johns Manville
Johns Manville is a proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, serving customers in more than 80 countries, supplying innovative products to the construction, aerospace, automotive, filtration and energy industries. With a more than 160-year legacy, we understand that our story continues to grow only with the right people saying, thinking and doing the right things. Make your story our story.
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities.
Apply on company website