Johnson Controls is hiring a Sustaining Engineer to work in our Cranston, RI location.
What you will do:
- The Engineer will evaluate field returns and conduct testing/metalurgical evaluation. Perform route cause analysis and oversee assembly of test samples and guide mechanical technicians in the set-up and performance of in-house testing.
- Work with Manufacturing and Sourcing in developing new/modified component design and vendor approval. Conducts detailed studies to support design decisions; and maintains records of design process in accordance with sound design practice and ISO requirements, by performing the following duties directly or through subordinates when so directed.
- Analyzes product, equipment and material specifications to support decisions on existing design direction.
- Keeps abreast of the latest technology developments to ensure the company sees available opportunities for technical improvements in products and services and/or cost reductions.
- Keeps abreast of the company's product offerings, within the area of involvement, to support decisions on design and manufacture technique direction.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the company's manufacturing operations to understand the strengths and weaknesses of design concepts from the point of view of manufacturability within the company.
- Conducts optimization, stress, fluids, and thermal analyses.
- Provides technical information concerning manufacturing and/or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect plant and product engineering planning.
- Confers with research personnel and other technical functions as required to clarify and resolve problems and develop designs.
- Maintains a working knowledge of general industry and specific agency approval requirements, to ensure compliance is maintained in designs.
- Prepares and directs others in the preparation of design layouts, detailed drawings, and specifications.
- Directs and coordinates prototype efforts.
- Compiles and analyzes operational, test, and research data to establish and/or evaluate performance standards and limits for new or existing products.
- Plans, develops, conducts and oversees experimental test programs.
- Plans and holds meetings when appropriate.
- Prepares and presents reports and presentations as needed.
- Performs all elements of the job in accordance with established procedures.
Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline, materials background 0-3 years related experience; Associate's degree in a technical discipline and 5-8 years of related experience; Experience with Fire Safety and/or Life Safety products is a plus.
·Applicants for employment in the US must have work authorization that does not now or in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the United States and with Johnson Controls.
Who we are:
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Apply on company website