What you will do
Provides structural analysis support on commercial, industrial and military HVAC products, primarily water and air-cooled chillers, including screw compressor and centrifugal compressor based platforms. The position supports product development, warranty, sales and pressure vessel manufacturing.
The individual conducts ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and other related design calculations and is typically a member of several product development teams. The individual has a good understanding of ASME and International Pressure Vessel Design standards. The individual has a basic understanding of the design, performance and cost of competitive equipment and knows how the JCI equipment is positioned in the market with respect to these attributes. The individual is very skilled in stress analysis techniques. Experience with FEA tools for application to stress analysis is desired.How you will do it
- Provide analysis for optimizing designs for chiller components including pressure vessels.
- Provide analysis support for ASME pressure vessel certification of JCI products.
- Provide analysis support for Canadian Pressure Vessel Registration (CRN).
- Develop field modification procedures for pressure vessels.
- Plan, schedule, coordinate bi-yearly updates to ASME pressure vessel calculations.
- Review patents and papers to understand the limits of technology and IP in the industry.
- Provide root-cause analysis relating to warranty/service cases.
- Adhere to the Company's Business Ethics Standards
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the form of design reports and presentations. The ability to work with a team of engineers on fast paced projects and an understanding of the product development process (PDP) is a requirement.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. An MS in an engineering discipline is a plus. A Professional Engineer's license is also a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in equipment design. Experience with pressure vessels in the HVAC industry is a plus.
- Good understanding of applicable pressure vessel design and test standards, including those of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), The Canadian Standards Organization (CSA), The European Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) and American Petroleum Institute (API).
- Skilled in the use of analysis software, particularly: ANSYS, Design Calc, CAEPIPE and MATHCAD.
- Normally up to 10%. Some international travel may be required.
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win everywhere, every day and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through our strategic focus on buildings.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.
Apply on company website