What you will do
The Principal Engineer, Mechanical position is part of JCI's Building Efficiency business at Johnson Controls, a Fortune 500 company. Due to our growth in our Performance Infrastructure business, we are adding this position to our team. We are seeking a mid-level energy solutions expert to work on our major energy projects throughout the US. Travel is less than 30% and is a virtual position (can be based anywhere in the US). You will be a part of leading teams on high complexity, major projects that range from $15M-$20M dollars within all vertical markets. We are looking to hire ASAP.
Leading Projects - This position is working for a major ESCO in the United States. It is a mid-level position reporting to the Sr. Manager of Advanced Solutions Development and Risk/Governance. Under minimal direction, provides consultation and project development oversight of the Project Development Team to achieve department and project objectives on large, complex, high-risk projects.
Other duties - Duties will include improving project development processes and engineering tools; implement the project development process improvements; integrate and analyze technical, financial and legal information to determine project viability; conduct appropriate research for unique technology applications; review the scope of work in Owner/JCI contracts and JCI subcontracts; review the Measurement & Verification plan in Owner/JCI contracts; Supports the team in achieving business goals by following and expanding the Solutions Playbook; leads and mentors Development Engineers III, II or I.
How you will do it
1. Responsible professional engineer who has sealed drawings and specifications for institutional buildings such as hospitals, higher education facilities and industrial plants for the following systems:
• Chilled water plants between 2,000 and 10,000 tons
• Heating hot water systems between 10 and 50 mmbtu/hr.
• Steam systems between 10 and 50 mmbtu/hr.
• Working knowledge of psychometric chart and calculations pertaining to Building HVAC heating and cooling loads
2. Familiarity with power generation systems including but not limited to:
• Combustion turbines and HRSGs
• Back pressure steam turbine generators
• Natural gas fueled reciprocating engine generators
• Diesel fueled reciprocating engine generators
3. Excellent proficiency with technical and financial modeling utilizing the following tools:
• eQuest, EnergyPlus or equivalent
• Commercially available HVAC sizing and modeling programs
4. Familiarity with power regulatory compliance as may relate to:
• Boiler emission sources
• Engine emission sources
• Provides peer reviews of Conceptual Design and preliminary analysis for Central Utility Plants, Cogeneration Projects, and other Advanced Solutions. Scope includes System Design, Scope Development, Engineering Calculations, Guide Specifications, Plant Performance values, Cost Estimation, and Risk Assessment. Also includes code and regulatory conformance plans.
• Utilizes specialized functional expertise as a project development team member. Has a high degree of technical competence in multiple functional areas, capable of assessing design risk and being accountable for all elements of large complex projects.
• Leads project risk reviews and contract reviews including measured energy savings calculations; non-measured project benefits; establishment of base line energy consumption; scopes of work; construction schedules, construction cost estimates
What we look for
Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field as appropriate. Ten years or more experience in designing / selling building systems, energy modeling, and construction or facility management; including a minimum of five years previous experience in large HVAC System design or Plant Engineering experience or the equivalent.
Undergrad experience performing building modeling preferred (example IAC program) CEM Certification & LEED AP Required. Function-specific licenses or certifications preferred (e.g., Professional Engineering license for engineering-related roles, etc.)
PE or MBA or another advanced degree preferred. Demonstrated subject matter expert (SME) in specific specialty or line-of-business area. Possess strong analytical capabilities and ability to manage tasks associated with development of projects.
Fully competent in analysis and assessment of facility systems. Demonstrated ability to lead engineering teams, work effectively with others, drive for results, and focus on the customer & acts ethically.
Has demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills and is comfortable working in customer-facing situations. Solid computer skills, including an understanding of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Visio, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, Solutions Architect, EQuest, CSM & NISC benchmarking tools. Demonstrated ability to review contract and subcontract schedules. Ability to travel approximately 30%.
Who we are
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.
Apply on company website