Title: Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist
Department: Ophthalmology Clinic
Position Number: 50066003
Hours of Work: Temporary Full-Time Position (approximately 12 months); Rotating Shifts
Rate of Pay: $32.43-$43.46
Union: OPSEU 4106 Central
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist assists in the assessment, planning and provision of care in the Ophthalmology Department in accordance with the Mission and Values of KHSC and its objectives, policies, standards and procedures.
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist performs duties under the supervision of medical staff in the Department of Ophthalmology. The Ophthalmic Technologist works independently within his/her scope of practice, collaborating with other members of the health care team.
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist organizes the workload and fulfills the responsibilities of the position with a high degree of autonomy within established guidelines and procedures. Clinical direction and support are provided by the Ophthalmologists within the Department.
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist is accountable for his/her decisions and actions even when acting interdependently in consultation and collaboration with the healthcare team.
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist advocates for and provides care to the client undergoing treatment in the Ophthalmology Clinic/Diagnostic Areas.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist will:
- Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary health care team
- Demonstrate participation in ongoing educational activities that maintains current skills and knowledge.
- Participate in learning experience of health care students as necessary.
- Sit on committees as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate initiative in participating in research activities.
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist will be able to:
- Take retinal photographs using a fundus camera and be able to take external photographs of the face and eye
- Perform Fluorescein and Indocyanine Green angiography.
- Perform photography functions including but not limited to: External Photography, Anterior Segment, Posterior Segment, Operating Room Photography, Digital Imaging, Teaching aids, Videography.
- Set up, operate and maintain equipment to conduct appropriate tests and procedures.
- Perform Automated Perimetry: providing patient instruction, observation and assistance during procedure.
- Perform Goldmann Perimetry: calibration, patient instruction, manually collect accurate details of exam.
- Perform Electrophysiology (ERG, EOG, VEP):calibration, patient instruction, accurate collection of data.
- Perform all colour vision testing: patient instruction, observation, and accurate data collection.
- Performs manual and automated keratometry.
- Performs manifest refraction.
- Performs Ultrasonography (A-scan, B-scan, IOL Master, UBM)
- Performs Ocular Coherence Tomography.
- Collect and prepare data of all exam results for interpretation by physician.
- Troubleshoot common problems with diagnostic equipment.
- Provide direct patient care within the Ophthalmology
- Ensure confidentiality of all records and information related to patients,
- physicians and employees.
The Ophthalmic Medical Technologist is accountable for:
- Following safe working conditions and practices in respective areas of responsibility
- Carrying out duties in a way that embodies the mission and values of the hospital
- Working co-operatively with fellow employees, supervisors and departments toward the achievement of Hotel Dieu Hospital's overall goals and objectives
- Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist Designation -JCAHPO, or recent graduate of an Accredited Ophthalmic Technologist Training Program
- Recent related experience in Ophthalmology
- Ophthalmic Ultrasound (B-scan) experience required
- Experience in Ultrasound Biomicroscopy (UBM) is preferred
- Experience in standardized A-scan is preferred
- Registered Ophthalmic Ultrasound Biometrist (ROUB) preferred
- Proficient Computer skills (MAC/Windows/NT)
- Proven good interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of coping with a mentally and physically demanding work environment
- Able to function independently as well as interdependently
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing education and upgrading of skills
- Proven good attendance record
- Stereo vision capabilities
- Knowledge of ophthalmic anatomy and the application of diagnostic testing and patient work ups
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Current BCLS
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing education and upgrading of skill
The applicant must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website