Chief Operating Officer
In April 2017, Hotel Dieu Hospital (HDH) and Kingston General Hospital (KGH) joined together to create the Kingston Health Sciences Centre (KHSC). KHSC, together with the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario and Kingston General Health Research Institute, is southeastern Ontario's complex, acute, and specialty care, research and teaching hospital. This integration was the result of many years of collaboration between the two sites, and the establishment of a novel governance structure that enables site-specific approaches to both secular and catholic healthcare.
KHSC, a single hospital corporation operating on two sites, as well as in the community, is governed by a Board of Directors made up of 12 voting community volunteers plus 5 ex-officio members. As one of the region's largest employers, KHSC is committed to partnering with patients and families to ensure the provision of high quality, compassionate care. Fully affiliated with Queen's University, KHSC is ranked as one of Canada's top research hospitals. KHSC cares for 500,000+ patients and their families from across the region, operating as the regional referral centre for cardiac, stroke, renal, trauma, neurosurgery, pediatrics, neo-natal, high-risk obstetrics, acute inpatient mental health, and the location for the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario, as well as offering specialized outpatient programs in pediatrics, medicine, ophthalmology, cardiology, urology, dermatology, gastroenterology, surgery, mental health, oncology, and urgent care.
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in the dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario and the 1000 Islands. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions – Queen's University, Royal Military College of Canada, and St. Lawrence College, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is accountable for providing overall executive leadership for KHSC's corporate governance and operational performance, empowering the operationalization and execution of the organization's robust and ambitious strategy. The COO will be instrumental in providing overall executive operational accountability as KHSC continues to embrace their vision with a focus on transforming the patient experience. Additionally, the COO will facilitate collaborative leadership to ensure and reinforce accountability for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of strategies that will ensure that KHSC meets its annual corporate targets and goals. A key member of the Executive Leadership Team, the COO's current portfolio includes Financial Services, Information Technology/Management, Registration & Health Information, Redevelopment & Planning, Laboratory Services, Diagnostic Imaging, Pharmacy, and Radiation Safety.
Key leadership initiatives for the new COO will be to:
- Support the organization in its achievement of key milestones and performance targets to create a culture of operational excellence.
- Successfully position the organization to advance clinical, strategic, and academic initiatives by embracing operational accountability, people development, and innovation.
- Champion program and service improvements that will support best practices, academic excellence, and patient and family-centred care.
- Facilitate integrated regional networks that strengthen KHSC`s relationship with system partners by fostering strategic relationships and maintaining effective collaboration.
- Provide executive leadership for the implementation of the new regional hospital information system/clinical transformation project, a collaboration with 6 partner hospital organizations, that will enable a transformation in the way care is provided right across KHSC and the region.
- In collaboration with the Executive Leadership Team, continue to build a mission-driven, values-based culture that embodies operational and clinical excellence and advances KHSC`s Strategic Plan of Transforming Care, together.
The successful Candidate will be an exceptional operational leader with a passion for people engagement and building high-performing quality organizations. You will have at least 10 years of progressive experience in a similarly complex healthcare environment with a track record of influencing operational excellence, strengthening corporate accountability, and leading complex portfolios and initiatives. In addition to having strong credentials, you will be an exceptional relationship developer and natural collaborator, with a history of building teams and achieving results through excellence in execution. To confidentially explore this opportunity, please email your resume, quoting the appropriate position title, to Judy Mandelman, at email@example.com.
Apply on company website