Genetic Counsellor, Genetics
Temporary Full-Time Position (approximately 12 months); Days
Wage Range: $39.31-$50.09 per hour
Union: OPSEU4106 Non-Central
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
The Genetic Counsellor is a professional participating in the team approach to medical clinical genetics. The Genetic Counsellor is accountable to the program supervisor/manager.
Within this role the Genetic Counsellor is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family-centered engagement and care in all we do.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Providing genetic counselling to patients and families as per current policy and procedures of the Medical Genetics Program.
- Participates in general genetics clinics by conducting patient interviews, being up-to-date on the current literature regarding the genetic condition(s) involved, arranging patient investigations, providing follow-up, and providing the patient and family with educational material.
- Serves as an advocate for patients and their families.
- Communicating to patients/families and referring health care providers as required.
- Providing necessary ongoing support and education to patients and families, including the identification of current educational materials, support groups and other community linkages.
- Liaising with colleagues, internal and external health care providers and other agencies to ensure continuity of care through case preparation, initial counselling appointment, testing, results and follow-up.
- Maintain confidential and accurate records, and ensure completion of appropriate databases.
- Participate in service planning, reporting and evaluation.
- Participate in education and professional development.
- Participate in additional clinical, administrative, and research activities as required.
- Master's Degree in Genetic Counselling, and certification (or eligible for certification) by the Canadian Association of Genetic Counsellors and/or the American Board of Genetic Counselling required.
- Experience in genetic counselling (1 to 2 years preferred) and up-to-date knowledge of developments in the field of medical genetics.
- Demonstrated assessment and counselling skills.
- Demonstrated ability to function as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated organizational and presentation skills.
- Superior communication skills, oral and written.
- Teaching experience within academic and/or clinical settings preferred.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory Criminal Reference Check required.
The incumbent will be required to meet the physical demands as described for the area of work.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
If you are a current KHSC employee, please contact a member of the Recruitment Team for a link to apply with your internal profile.
Apply on company website