GFT Clerk- Medical Affairs
Department: GFT Secretaries
Hours of Work: Casual Position; Days
Pay Band: Three (3) $21.238 - $23.533
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
To perform clerical and reception duties for a geographical full-time member of the Department and Attending Staff of the Kingston General Hospital and Hotel Dieu Hospital. These duties will include handling of confidential material and office duties in connection with patient care, teaching, research and committee work.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Handling telephone calls from patients and referring physicians. Typing patient letters and dictation summaries. Obtaining charts from Medical Records and other Medical/diagnostic information for assessment and teaching as required. Retrieving and filing medical and patient files as appropriate/requested. Scheduling/booking clinic appointments, procedures and/or ORs, arranging admissions, Service bookings, maintaining up-to-date waiting lists, and maintaining ongoing indices of patients treated according to procedures.
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT AND GENERAL SECRETARIAL DUTIES:
Maintains good public relations by demonstrating a professional, confidential mature attitude when dealing with patients, visitors and staff by answering the telephone, receiving messages and referring inquiries of a routine, urgent and/or confidential nature. Responding to enquiries over the phone, email and by written letter to patients, physicians, other medical facilities as required. Reception, mail distribution, photocopying, and shredding. Maintaining an organized and accessible workplace. Submission of reports/data to third parties for processing.
Understands and is familiar with all pertinent KHSC policies and procedures including those relating to workplace conduct. Complies with the KHSC Commitment to uphold the Workplace Conduct and Reporting of Inappropriate Conduct policy and behaves in a manner that is consistent with the guiding principles and expectations.
*NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
- Medical Assistant Certificate (1 year) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 year previous experience in an office environment including customer/client services
- Proficiency with Windows based applications to be tested Word (Level 2) MS Excel (Level 1), MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook
- Demonstrated medical terminology proficiency (to be tested).
- Keyboarding 45 words per minute to be tested.
- Demonstrated experience with phone reception and/or customer service in an office environment
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills. Ability to speak, read and write in English.
- Evidence of strong organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure, cope with frequent interruptions and meet deadlines is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, courteously and tactfully with all types of people.
- Ability to function independently, as well as in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team
Apply on company website