Title: MedicalLaboratory Technologist
Position Number: 50014369
Hours of Work: Full-Time Position; Rotating Shifts
Wage Range: $32.43-$43.46
Union: OPSEU4106 Central
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
Performs laboratory analyses requiring technical skills and knowledge. Exercise independent judgment on testing on a variety of specimens. Provide assistance to Pathologists, Laboratory Physicians and Laboratory Scientists in performing certain delegated medical acts related to the laboratory discipline in which the incumbent is assigned.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the KHSC strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Performs accessioning, specimen handling and processing.
- Performs Laboratory Testing depending on Clinical Laboratory assignment
- Performs repeat testing where required.
- Responsible for verifying, reporting and releasing of all results by self
- Phones and documents phone call of abnormal and critical lab results based on established policies and procedures
- Performs Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures to ensure Lab testing meets established requirements and standards.
- Ensures efficient use of laboratory supplies and reagents.
- Monitors supplies inventory to ensure adequate supply is maintained. Notifies appropriate person when re-orders are required.
- Performs and documents routine equipment maintenance and performs minor troubleshooting procedures.
- Provides guidance and supervision to Laboratory Assistants where required
- May be requested to perform the duties of a higher classification when requested.
- Develops or assists in developing new methodologies and assists in implementing new methodologies.
- Performs evaluation, cross over studies and other research and development activities as required.
- Provides assistance to Pathologists, Laboratory Physicians and Laboratory Scientists in performing certain delegated medical acts related to the laboratory discipline in which the incumbent is assigned.
NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive. Please see People Services for a full job description.
- Applicants for positions in the Department of Genetics Services are required to produce a certificate of registration from the College of Medical Laboratory Technology of Ontario with endorsement in the disciplines of Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics.
- Demonstrated interest in personal professional development.
- Computer skills to include Lab Information System and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with a focus on interaction with Laboratory staff and internal and external health professionals.
- Diplomacy and understanding others' viewpoints.
- Flexibility to meet operational requirements, including hours of work, location and accessibility to staff.
- Must be highly motivated.
- A strong team player, with the ability to perform duties independently.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website