Title: Ophthalmic Assistant
Hours of Work: Temporary Full-Time Position (approximately 11 months); Days
Pay Band: TECH 2 $25.14-$28.94
Union: OPSEU4106 Central
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital Site
DESCRIPTION:The Ophthalmic Assistant assists in the assessment, planning and provision of care in the department of ophthalmology in accordance with the Mission and Values of Hotel Dieu Hospital and its objectives, policies, standards and procedures. The Ophthalmic Assistant performs duties under the supervision of medical staff in the department of ophthalmology. The Ophthalmic Assistant works independently within his/her scope of practice, collaborating with other members of the health care team. The Ophthalmic Assistant organizes the workload and fulfills the responsibilities of the position with a high degree of autonomy within established guidelines and procedures. Clinical direction and support are provided by the Ophthalmologists within the Department. The Ophthalmic Assistant is accountable for his/her decisions and actions even when acting interdependently in consultation and collaboration with the healthcare team. The Ophthalmic Assistant advocates for and provides care to the patient undergoing treatment in the Ophthalmology Clinic/Diagnostic Areas.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:The Ophthalmic Assistant will:
- Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary health care team
- Demonstrate participation in ongoing educational activities that maintains current skills and knowledge.
- Participate in the learning experience of health care students as necessary.
- Sit on committees as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate initiative in participating in research activities.
- Demonstrate skills in computer technology including graphics, database/spreadsheet management, digital imaging and computer slide production.
- Provide direct patient care within the department of ophthalmology.
- Perform automated perimetry: providing patient instruction, observation and assistance during procedure.
- Perform work-up and coordinate retina, glaucoma, uveitis, and plastics consults clinics: history, visual acuity, measurement if IOP, pachymetry, and other designated tests
- Set up, operate, and maintain ophthalmic equipment.
- Stock examination rooms.
- Collect and prepare data of all exam results for interpretation by physician.
- Troubleshoot common problems with ophthalmic equipment.
- Supervise and teach ophthalmic technician students and ophthalmic medical technologist students within the scope of practice of the ophthalmic assistant.
The Ophthalmic Assistant is accountable for:
- Ensure confidentiality of all records and information related to patients, physicians and employees.
- Following safe working conditions and practices in respective areas of responsibility
- Carrying out duties in a way that embodies the mission and values of the hospital
- Working co-operatively with fellow employees, supervisors and departments toward the achievement of Hotel Dieu Hospital's overall goals and objectives
- Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO)
- Certification Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA)
- Recent related experience in Ophthalmology
- Proficient Computer skills (MAC/Windows/NT)
- Proven good interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of coping with a mentally and physically demanding work environment
- Able to function independently as well as interdependently
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing education and upgrading of skills
- Proven good attendance record
- Stereo vision capabilities
- Knowledge of ophthalmic anatomy and physiology.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Current BCLS
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team
Apply on company website