Perioperative RPN, Part-Time, Ambulatory OR
Hours of Work: Part-Time Position
Rotating Shifts: 0630-1430, 0730-1530, 0800-1600, 0830-1630
Pay Band: BAND-R $28.136-$31.176
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital Site
The RPN/ORT functions under the College of Nurses of Ontario's scope of practice as a member of the Perioperative Services Team in the Surgical, Perioperative and Anesthesia program. . The RPN/ORT works in collaboration with the health team members to meet the care of patients and is responsible for scrubbing duties during surgery in accordance with established standards and protocols.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston General Hospital strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates an excellent knowledge of aseptic technique, operative procedures, preparation of instruments, equipment and supplies, and surgeons' preferences by performing scrub duties and anticipating needs during the procedure that will provide best patient care.
- Ensures the principles of asepsis and safety are used when setting up and dismantling tables, handling and counting instruments, sponges, sutures, and drains, applying dressings while still being aware of cost effectiveness.
- Demonstrates ability and accountability when handling specimens.
- Assists in maintaining a safe and comfortable patient care environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to work as a team member by participating in patient care, such as positioning, prepping, draping and in non-direct patient care activities
- Advocates for patients by assuring respect is maintained by all team members.
- Participates in activities that are to the full scope of practice for the RPN in the Operating Room.
- Assists with lifting and transporting of patients.
NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive.
- Graduate of a Registered Practical Nurse Diploma Program
- Graduate of a RPN - Perioperative Nursing Certificate Program from an accredited program
- Registered with CNO – College of Nurses of Ontario
- Excellent communication skills and high initiative
- CPR & First Aid, WHMIS
- Medical Terminology
- Computer knowledge / procedure pick lists
- Ability to identify problems during procedures
- Ability to multitask
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions within scope of Practice
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team
Apply on company website