Dianon Pathology, part of LabCorp's Specialty Testing Group, is a leading provider of anatomic pathology with subspecialty expertise in Dermatopathology, Gastrointestinal pathology, Gyn Pathology and Uropathology. Dianon has 30 years of experience providing specialized anatomic pathology services to physician practices and hospitals.
Job Duties Include:
- Performs grossing following established procedures. Performs tissue embedding following established procedures.
- Performs routine cutting of paraffin blocks on a rotary microtome.
- Prepares reagents following established procedures.
- Receives specimens, maintains documentation of workload volume, quality control data and all appropriate records as required by the department, company and various regulatory agencies.
- Maintains block files.
- Store specimens for future retrieval if necessary.
- Matches slides and reports to ensure correct information is reported. Stains, coverslips and labels slides (automated and manual).
- Performs special staining procedures offered in the histology laboratory (automated and manual).
- Researches, troubleshoots and resolves inquiries or problems within the laboratory and with LabCorp clients.
- Assists less experienced employees in researching, resolving and documenting problems.
- Performs reagent QC on routinely used reagents.
- Runs parallel checks on reagents used on instruments for routine lab work.
- Troubleshoots reagent failures.
- Performs specimen QC to ensure specimen is appropriate and properly identified for each bench.
- Note and resolve all specimens not in compliance.
- Develops stain troubleshooting skills and develops assay trouble shooting skills.
- Records and determine causes for assay failure.
- Develops plans with the supervisor/manager to rectify problems.
- Assists with other non-technical duties within the laboratory as requested by the supervisor/manager to meet immediate needs of laboratory.
- Performs routine maintenance on laboratory equipment in designated area. This includes cleaning equipment, minor troubleshooting and reporting any irregularities in operation to supervisor/manager.
- Maintains appropriate records as required by laboratory, company and various regulatory agencies.
- Adheres to the laboratory's safety policies.
- Maintains adequate stock of working supplies, notifies supervisor of shortage.
- Helps with inventory procedures.
- Participates in required continued education activities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of an Associate's Degree in a natural science w/1-3 years of experience in Histology and obtains all licenses necessary for Histology
- HT/HTL (ASCP) Certification or Board Eligible desired but not required
- Microtomy & embedding experience required.
- CLIA '88 Gross Qualified -- requires an Associate degree in a laboratory science (chemical or biological science) or medical laboratory technology from an accredited institution, or equivalent laboratory training and experience meeting the requirements defined in the CLIA regulation 42CFR493.1489 (see NOTE 2);
NOTE: 2: For high complexity testing, equivalent laboratory training and experience includes the following:
- 60 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited institution that, at a minimum, includes either 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses, OR 24 semester hours of science courses that include six semester hours of chemistry, six semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination; AND
- Laboratory training including either completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by the ABHES, NAACLS, or other organization approved by HHS (note that this training may be included in the 60 semester hours listed above), OR at least three months documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
- Experience in a histology lab setting.
- Administrative experience: filing experience, maintain logs/records, use of computerized databases, verbal and written communications.
Apply on company website