Job Description SummaryThis position is responsible for the sanitation, set up, start up, adjustment, and running of all equipment in the packaging area. It is their responsibility, under the direction of the supervisor, to insure all packaging meets quality specifications for paper type, bag code, case code, case condition, and bag length. They are also responsible for cleaning the automatic product scales and baggers in a way that no foreign material is introduced into the product.
- Follow all plant safety policies and procedures. Be actively involved in safety, participate in safety programs, engaged in safety activities, perform risk assessments and demonstrate ownership as well as leadership in personal safety and the safety of other team members.
- Operate and adjust all equipment from the freeze tunnel exit (including shakers, belts, feeders, scaling equipment, packaging machines, Blueprints, case settlers, gluers, and coders) to insure product is efficiently packaged according to product specifications.
- Keep package machines loaded with paper.
- Monitors line-flow rates: Regular checks for proper feed of product through baggers for maximum efficiency. Monitors and adjusts vibrators to gain optimum bagger performance. Includes continuous scraping to allow for optimum product level.
- Monitors bagger operation: Ensures by regular checks that baggers are being fed with enough product to run efficiently. Ability to perform metal detector checks. Checks bag weights and adjusts to meet Q.A. standards. Changes tape and wires on jaws. Changes paper and poly rolls. Checks primary and secondary codes with Q.A. and continuously monitors for accuracy.
- Monitors Blueprint and Dyna-Pak operation: Adjusts for different fiber. Adjusts chair. Loads with fiber. Adjusts bag settlers as needed to minimize breakage.
- Monitors case settler operation: Adjusts for different fiber. Monitors headspace on cases and adjusts settings accordingly (compression, time and height).
- Monitors case sealer operation: Adjust for different fiber. Monitors and adjusts glue patterns. Changes glue heads as needed. Ensures proper sanitation and operation (changes or scrapes glue head and housing continuously).
- Monitors primary and secondary container coders: Programs proper code statement. Adjusts for optimum code placement and clarity on case.
- Monitors line sanitation: Keeps baggers clean of crumbs. Cleans bagger take-away belts. Keeps floors clean of debris. Ensures all of Packaging is clean and food safe.
- Regulate product flow through equipment and tote dumps to achieve maximum packaging efficiency.
- Ensure bag lengths meet targets by monitoring and adjusting lengths. Advise TLP if bag lengths cannot be obtained.
- Follow proper manifesting procedures for materials, ingredients, and bulk blending to the appropriate lines at appropriate times.
- Ensure proper paper and cases are used per product specification
- Work to achieve minimum paper and case waste.
- Assures bulk off procedures are followed. Maintain totes/lids/pallets in good working and sanitary condition.
- Cleans pallets off after each tote is blended to maintain wholesomeness.
- Perform sanitation work as assigned by the Sanitation TL or TLP to include but not limited to scraping product feeders and product scaling equipment during downtime.
- Help train new personnel in the position of Package Operator
- Communicates need of packaging material (paper, poly, kd, etc.) from Warehouse (Dry Supply) as needed.
- Records packaging machinery efficiencies, downtime and fills out reports accurately and correctly.
- Troubleshoots equipment operation: Able to identify mechanical and electrical equipment problems and take action by notifying proper personnel. Operates equipment with minimum waste and zero loss culture.
- Reworks product when appropriate.
- Gives other employees breaks as directed by the TLP or Specialist.
- May be required to use a 2-way radio.
- Completes Leader Standard Work as required.
- Required to use a computer touch screen to monitor and control equipment.
- Follow good housekeeping practices and GMP's.
- Wear required PPE.
- Actively participate in AMD activities; Maintain Centerlines and CIL's.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by a Team Leader
- Sanitation qualification is required. If you are not qualified, you will be trained.
- Employee must be Lock-out/Tag-out qualification is required. If you are not qualified, you will be trained.
- Read, understand, and obey all plant rules and practice safety as outlined in the employee handbook.
- Practice proper body mechanics and safe lifting techniques. Proper Ergonomics is key with this position.
- Be knowledgeable of the potential hazards and safety procedures associated with the task being performed.
- Actively practice and abide by all Company work, safety, and personal hygiene rules and regulations as outlined in the employee handbook.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred.
Effectively communicate in English verbally and in writing. Ability to understand instructions and follow directions in English.
Apply on company website