Paraprofessional Job Summary
East Chicago Enterprise Academy
1402 E. Chicago Ave
East Chicago IN 46313
We are looking for a dedicated and compassionate Paraprofessional to join our staff. You will play an important role in providing our students with the academic support they need. Under the supervision of a lead teacher, you will mentor students in small groups or provide individualized attention either inside the regular classroom or through our pull-out program. You will also assist the teacher in preparing curriculum materials, grading papers, tracking attendance, and helping students follow classroom rules of behavior.
*Paraprofessional Duties and Responsibilities
Work with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials
Monitor student work and supervise curriculum-based testing
Tutor and assist students with makeup work
Review material with students one-on-one or in small groups
Ensure students follow school and class rules
Prepare for lessons by gathering materials or setting up equipment
Track attendance, correct papers, and calculate grades
Supervise students in class, between classes, and during lunch and recess
Paraprofessional Requirements and Qualifications
High school degree or equivalent; associate degree in education or a related field preferred
2+ years of experience as a paraprofessional, teaching assistant, or similar position
Experience working with elementary-aged students
Excellent communication and organizational skills
Proficient with Microsoft Office
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract
Pay: $14.00 per hour
Paid time off
8 hour shift
Monday to Friday
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Childcare: 2 years (Preferred)
Perform responsible human support and paraprofessional work assisting the kindergarten teacher with instructional activities and assisting students by reinforcing material already presented through special efforts and repetitions.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
• Assist classroom teacher(s) in performing specific duties as assigned or undertaking
• Assist in providing individual and small-group instruction in order to adapt the
curriculum to the needs of pupils' intellectual abilities.
• Assist in establishing and maintaining standards of student behavior.
• Prepare instructional materials; reads to students.
• Assist the classroom teacher in creating an environment that is conducive to learning
and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
• Help plan daily and long-range lessons and classroom activities.
• Conduct learning exercises with small groups of students.
• Alert the teacher to special needs of individual students.
• Provide escort and assistance to children as necessary.
• Check students work for compliance with teacher's instructions.
• Help maintain individual records for each student.
• Collect and display suitable material for educational displays; prepare displays;
• Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment,
materials, and facilities.
• Assist in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct.
• Help maintain order in the classroom; monitors students to keep them on task.
• Perform a variety of office assistance tasks such as photocopying, filing, answering
the telephone, etc. as required.
• Select and check out library materials for teacher's use.
• Perform related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
General knowledge of the practices, methods and techniques used in classroom teaching; ability to maintain confidential files and information and to compile reports; ability to deal effectively with students and teachers; skill in the use of classroom and instructional equipment; ability to operate standard office, word and data processing equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with teachers, parents, students and associates.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED. Some experience in working with children.
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Significant standing; some walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling. Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
Apply on company website