High School Fine Arts Teacher, Cesar Chavez Academy High School
1761 Waterman St.
Detroit MI 48209
We have a creative environment; in our environment we know and believe that you can fail and start over -- can you? In our environment we are out-of-the box thinkers; we have a do-not-be afraid environment. Teacher candidates must have a total commitment to helping students be successful. This is a great learning environment and our main focus is on teaching and learning. We have a clean, safe, orderly, well-resourced school building. Our focus is on college and career readiness and student achievement. We believe in developing thinkers and problem solvers!
Provide high-quality instruction to students and work collaboratively with the school leader, colleagues, students, parents and the board to accomplish or surpass the academy's articulated educational goals. Work as a collaborative team member to implement the academy curriculum and accomplish short- and long-term academy goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
• Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning; develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure; enforce the academy's student discipline code; collaborate in the implementation of initiatives such as school-wide behavior management systems.
• Plan a program of study that meets the individual needs and goals of students; establish clear objectives for all lessons and units; ensure that lessons -- as planned, delivered, and assessed -- are aligned with state curriculum and school-wide curriculum standards.
• Develop lesson plans and submit them for review and feedback as scheduled; work cooperatively with the academy's instructional coach to learn from feedback and improve the quality of instruction. Participate in ongoing analysis and planning to ensure that the school's curriculum remains aligned to state standards.
• Collaborate with special education staff to implement, to the greatest extent possible, an inclusive approach to students with special needs. Remain aware of student needs; participate in child study teams or individualized education planning; implement accommodations and modifications as indicated in student IEP's; seek advice and counsel from student support services areas when needed to ensure that all students are fully served.
• Collaborate with other staff, as necessary, to implement grant-funded programming to accelerate learning for students with a variety of needs including special education, at-risk, limited English proficient students and others, to bring them to grade level proficiency.
• Maintain accurate and complete records as required; maintain the confidentiality of student records and student information. Complete any documentation necessary for the academy to be in compliance with regulatory requirements, such as time and effort reporting.
• Communicate with parents and make provisions for being available outside normal hours; work with parents to encourage participation in their child's learning experiences; provide regular communication to parents regarding their children's performance.
• Maintain professional competence via conferences, mentoring, involvement in professional organizations, continuing coursework, etc. Complete all coursework and other requirements necessary to maintain teaching credentials and "highly qualified" status, as required by the teacher's assignment.
• Inform the school leader of needed instructional resources. Serve as an active member of teams such as grade-level, school-wide planning, school improvement or other areas of focus.
• May participate in extracurricular activities such as coaching, clubs, student government, tutoring, enrichment activities, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
• State teacher licensure/certification with appropriate endorsements(s). Will consider non-certified candidates with a degree in Art; would be required to enroll in, and complete, a teacher certification program within a prescribed period of time.
• Bachelor's degree with subject area emphasis and/or coursework and/or experience necessary to be deemed "highly qualified" for the grade/subjects to be taught.
• Demonstrated commitment to young people's learning success and achievement.
• Demonstrated proficiency in a teaching/tutoring capacity as acquired through prior experience in tutoring, teaching or other education-related experience; evidence of successful experience in student and parent relations.
Apply on company website