Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a combination Commercial Mechanical, Plumbing and General Building Inspector. You will provide advanced technical and administrative oversight responsibilities for the mechanical, plumbing and general building construction work and apply your advanced knowledge of California Building Codes, construction processes and engineering principles in the performance of the inspection duties. This position is in the Emergency Management Department, Fire and Building Safety Division.
This position will be filled at either the 369.1 or 369.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide oversight and coordination of code compliance reviews of construction drawing and specification packages.
- Participate in design reviews and other meetings related to current and future projects.
- Perform inspections of work in progress and file inspection reports as required.
- Plan and conduct scheduled hold-point inspections and/or special inspections on construction projects.
- Responsible for daily and/or weekly inspection reports for all projects inspected to identify problems and implement solutions.
- Conduct final inspections and monitor the resolution of punch list deficiencies for each project to ensure proper operation and adherence to security, environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Review and validate as-built drawings for each construction project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 369.2 Level
- Resolve complex code issues and/or field problems that have a high consequence of error.
- Provide highly advanced technical and administrative direction and/or oversight of LLNL maintenance and construction projects and for the building department in the absence of the Chief Building Inspector.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent combination of education and experience with significant related experience in construction, or maintenance and operations of facility systems or utility site infrastructure systems.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience applying federal, state, and local construction codes, laws, and regulations including California Building, Mechanical and Plumbing Codes, and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Codes.
- Knowledge of the mechanical and plumbing systems as well as general building construction techniques and requirements.
- Advanced customer service and interpersonal skills including the ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel including construction subcontractors.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on a variety of concurrent activities with tight deadlines.
- Combination of certifications for at least two of the following: Commercial Mechanical Inspector(M2), Commercial Plumbing Inspector(P2), Commercial Building Inspector(B2), Commercial Electrical Inspector(E2).
- Ability to obtain a valid California Class C Driver's License.
In Addition at the 369.2 Level
- Extensive experience as an Commercial Combination Building Inspector applying highly advanced knowledge of California building, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical codes, applicable standards, procedures, and techniques related to maintenance/construction project coordination
- Certified C-5 Commercial Combination Building Inspector (ICC).
- Demonstrated ability to provide oversight for the administration and technical direction of an organization performing code compliance activities at LLNL using independent discretion and sound professional judgement.
- Knowledge of maintenance and construction technologies, codes, laws, regulations, environmental requirements, DOE Orders, LLNL ES&H policies and procedures, security requirements, LLNL's Integrated Safety Management (ISM), and LLNL's safety culture.
- Certified C-3 Combination Plans Examiner (ICC).
- Possession of a California Electrical Certification.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
About UsLawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees. Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website