Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for electrical engineers to conduct basic and applied research in distribution system modeling and simulation. The successful candidates will bring a strong track record in the areas of electrical power distribution systems modeling and simulation and have experience with simulation software, such as CYMDIST, Synergee, Gridlab-D or OpenDSS for distribution system analysis. The successful candidates will support LLNL's Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program growing research portfolio in electric grid infrastructure. The successful candidates will participate in collaborative research projects funded by Department of Energy, the State of California and private sectors. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Conduct research in distribution grid modeling and simulation which creates and implements new state-of- the-art algorithms.
- Support complex research projects with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines are important to project success.
- Partner with other Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security programs.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met, while working independently with minimal direction within scope of the assignment.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Routinely serve as a technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Master's degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with simulation software, such as CYMDIST, Synergee, Gridlab-D or OpenDSS for distribution system analysis
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation and operations, distribution planning, modeling and simulation.
- Record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support modeling analysis and visualization for distributed grid.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in the application and development in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation, distribution planning, modeling and simulation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working with utilities, Department of Energy (DOE), and other relevant state government agencies.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website