The Cheese Supervisor is responsible for supervising all aspects of the Cheese section of the Deli Department. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Food Service Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in monitoring and controlling all costs and expenses; includes maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, ensuring proper weighing procedures, controlling shrink, and monitoring ad displays.
- Ensures cleanliness of cheese aisles, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Stocks cheese department; includes presentation of product, facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Food Service Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Examines the rotation of all cheese products and the olive bar paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items.
- Responds positively to customer's inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Builds and maintains product displays as directed and coordinates monthly promotion change-overs.
- Participates in monthly pre-inventory preparation.
- Maintains organization and tracking of all departmental paperwork including inventory control sheets, orders to be filled and accuracy of placed/received orders.
- Requires operating and using equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Uses knowledge of scales and weight measures to ensure appropriate cutting, packaging, weighing, and pricing of cheese.
- Assists with driving sales in the cheese department; requires offering expert advice on selection, preparation, packaging, and pricing of the available cheese products.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years professional experience.
- Preferred 2-3 years grocery retail experience in Cheese department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead, support, and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Must have basic knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Must have skills working with cheese knives and wires.
- Ability to cut and weigh various amounts of cheese.
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Ability to enter the cold case, cooler, and freezer thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Apply on company website