All positions at Lucky's Market are required to execute their daily job responsibilities in addition to focusing on sales and customer service. It is the expectation of each employee to maintain a positive attitude and a willingness to be a team player.
The Cheese Clerk is responsible for supervising all aspects of the Cheese section of the Grocery Department. They are required to assist customers as needed and maintain a friendly, energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines set by the Food Service Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in monitoring and controlling all costs and expenses; includes maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, ensuring proper weighing procedures, controlling shrink, and monitoring ad displays.
- Ensures cleanliness of cheese aisles, storage area, and work area for safety; includes cleaning of shelves and products, keeping floors free of liquid spills or water, removing hazardous debris from floor and sweeping.
- Stocks cheese department; includes presentation of product, facing, filling, and organization of all product items as set by the Food Service Department schematics as well as ensuring tag and pricing accuracy.
- Examines the rotation of all cheese products and the olive bar paying particular attention to expired stock and discarding outdated or spoiled items.
- Responds positively to customer's inquiries and assists customers with purchases, information and product selection; requires selling and cross selling of products.
- Receives, inspects, and logs products for accuracy of shipment, temperature, and quality.
- Builds and maintains product displays as directed and coordinates monthly promotion change-overs.
- Participates in monthly pre-inventory preparation.
- Maintains organization and tracking of all departmental paperwork including inventory control sheets, orders to be filled and accuracy of placed/received orders.
- Requires operating and using equipment such as knives, scales, wrappers, compactors, garbage disposals, pallet jacks, and hand trucks.
- Uses knowledge of scales and weight measures to ensure appropriate cutting, packaging, weighing, and pricing of cheese.
- Assists with driving sales in the cheese department; requires offering expert advice on selection, preparation, packaging, and pricing of the available cheese products.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Walks department regularly to ensure an organized, sanitary, and overall clean appearance at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency degree.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years professional experience.
- Preferred 2-3 years grocery retail experience in Cheese department processes and procedures.
- Previous experience in a natural foods industry is a plus.
- Must maintain the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Ability to adapt to the ever changing high volume retail while working in a cross-functional team environment.
- Must have the capacity to take initiative when problems arise.
- Flexibility to adapt in a variety of situations.
- Must have advanced attention to detail with the capability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills for dealing cross functionally with peers and senior management.
- Must have knowledge with MS Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to multitask and have excellent organizational skills is essential.
- Must be able to lead, support, and contribute to team goals.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Must be familiar with Health Department guidelines and regulations as they pertain to a grocery retail environment.
- Must have basic knowledge of math, weights, and measures.
- Must have skills working with cheese knives and wires.
- Ability to cut and weigh various amounts of cheese.
- The potential for prolonged standing, walking, squatting and/or bending.
- The ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional high stress when dealing with systems/customers/staff.
- Ability to enter the cold case, cooler, and freezer thereby being subjected to cold temperatures for extended periods of time.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
Apply on company website